Powermac g4

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Allen360, Dec 30, 2008.

1. Allen360 macrumors newbie

I have a friend with a powermac g4, and he wants to put in a new internal hard drive, the model number on the mac is M8493 is there a limit on the size he can run? I heard something about quicksilver limiting the size you can have but im not sure if this applies to this model or not. and what kind of bus interface would he need? IDE, or ATA some research I did points to either, and rather confused me so if anyone could help that would be very appreciated, thanks!

2. jodelli macrumors 65816

jodelli

That's one of the Quicksilvers that is large drive enabled. You should be able to go with any 3.5" ATA drive; it's the same thing as IDE. At least two of the models should be able to run Leopard as well, if not all of them.

3. finnschi macrumors 6502

Ok so afaik ATA = IDE at least to say it the easy way, so since the Powermac doesent have a Sata controller , Sata wont work, and there is no Limit on how big the Harddrive can be, you could buy a 1Tb Harddrive (IDE!!) and put it in there! Also think about getting a external one (Firewire/Usb 2.0) !
    I am pretty sure the Powermac supports those harddrives! You could also get a PCI S-ATA controller, and connect some SATA drive to it! :D

:apple:

4. finnschi macrumors 6502

Btw, It could be that because of ATA100 your controller only supports up to 128gb... i would call the friendly apple support, because they have the technical Dokumentation!
    If you just want more storage, Go for the External ! Or you could also get a 120Gb FAST internal and a 1tb External, that would speed thing up a little! :cool: