PowerMac G5 1.8 or 2.0 DualCore is better for editing?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by SyllaMZP, Jul 31, 2013.

1. SyllaMZP macrumors newbie

Hello Macers,,
    Ive questions which i can find the answer here which im sure will find 100 answers!

Im about to buy PowerMac G5
    Ive got 2 different offers
    1) 1.8GHz DualCore, 4GB RAM , 160 WD.
    2) 2.0GHz DualCore, 6GB RAM , 160 WD, Nvidia 6600 LE

I want to use it in editing videos HD also photoshops and graffic programs! so i want to know which one i go for!!
    its depends on my money when its not nuff to get the dual 2
    i will get the dual 1.8 so im asking is the 1.8 can be nuff for using this as well i will upgrade it later!

I hope someone can help me and also if i will take the 1.8 do i will need grafficcard and whats the best for editing and so on??

I hope someone helps me i not understanding good in macs !!!!
    and dont want to pay money and still the same as in intel or amd!!

Thanks.
    Sylla

2. rabidz7 macrumors 65816

rabidz7

I would get the DC 2.0 as it is PCIe and can take 16GB of functional RAM.

3. ihuman:D macrumors 6502a

It mightn't be the Dual Core 2GHz, he listed the 1.8GHz as a Dual Core while it was only available as a single or Dual Processor so he could've also listed the 2GHz Dual Processor as a Dual Core.

4. rabidz7 macrumors 65816

rabidz7

But it has a 6600LE, a PCIe only card.

5. ihuman:D macrumors 6502a

Oops, didn't realise that. :eek:

6. Nameci macrumors 68000

Nameci

If you are not good in understanding macs, much more with powerpc macs, you are better off using a windows box.

7. noodle654 macrumors 68020

noodle654

Well if you do really want to get one...get the Dual Core 2.0GHz. PCIe, faster DDR2 RAM, dual core is overall faster than Dual Processor (depending on speed). Runs cooler.

8. wobegong Guest

Or to put it more nicely.....make sure you do some research on what software is still available for PowerPC macs and whether it will be fit for your intended use, most software for PowerPC is not kept up to date any more but if Photoshop CS4, older versions of video editing software are OK then go for it as they are still very capable machines. That said you should also search this forum for opinions on video editing, especially HD work and which PowerPC macs are best. Obviously the faster the better as is always the case going back to your original post.