Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bazilizk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 16, 2015
Moscow
Bought absolutelly new PM in University. Didn't open before.. 11 years saved in warehouse. What you recommend. Open or save it for next 10 years?

Last edited:

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Are you a collector?

If you are, put it away and forget about it for the next 50 years. It might be worth some small historical value around then to museums (if any are left by that time).

If you bought it to use it then use it.

Asking us the question you ask implies you are a collector and bought the Mac solely because you want the value to appreciate so you can sell it off for the highest possible price. Not knocking you for that, but PowerPC Macs are not the Apple I. They are never going to appreciate like that. Too many were mass produced and they are not rare.

Reactions: bazilizk

bazilizk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 16, 2015
Moscow
Thanks for support. Unpacked. It was my dream 10 years ago. I'm not a collector, just paid $250 for nostalgia. Use PowerBook G4 from time to time now. Love it. Replaced case for new (thanks iFixit).

Reactions: eyoungren

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Awesome! Enjoy the Mac! I know exactly how you feel. I got the PowerMac G4 Quicksilver and 17" PowerBook G4 I always wanted years and years after the Intels were out so it's a great feeling to finally have what you've always wanted.

Reactions: bazilizk

Hrududu

macrumors 68020
Jul 25, 2008
Central US
Which G5 is it? If its an original 2003, then you might have something really special down the road as this would be the first consumer grade 64 bit computer ever released. Later June 04 and 05 models may not be quite as desirable, but having the original could be something really valuable to a collector someday.

MacCubed

macrumors 68000
Apr 26, 2014
Florida
Which G5 is it? If its an original 2003, then you might have something really special down the road as this would be the first consumer grade 64 bit computer ever released. Later June 04 and 05 models may not be quite as desirable, but having the original could be something really valuable to a collector someday.
If it were 11 years, then it would be a 2004 model, making it a 2.0 Dual Processor like mine.

bazilizk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 16, 2015
Moscow

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
I'm a fan of the Case Medium Stockman. I always have one of some variety or another in my left pocket. I keep it sharp, and the "pen" blade will open a box right up with no collateral damage if used correctly.

That's what the question was about, wasn't it? :)

Reactions: eyoungren

bazilizk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 16, 2015
Moscow
Nix. Question about Cult. Its new. Was. I opened and found couple disks (system and final cut), mouse strange clearly plastic...
Put on. System installed and updated Ok. Its all my story. Will use it from time to time. Have iMac 2014 for job.

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
Your system would have shipped with Tiger. I'd suggest upgrading to Leopard for better program availability and at least(more) up to date security than Tiger.

A dual core G5 will fly with Leopard-I use one every day.

bazilizk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 16, 2015
Moscow
I have Leopard disk becouse save my old PowerBook. But I found 10.5 more slowly... 10.4 the best system for me.

MacCubed

macrumors 68000
Apr 26, 2014
Florida
I have Leopard disk becouse save my old PowerBook. But I found 10.5 more slowly... 10.4 the best system for me.
10.4 will be slower on a PowerBook due to a G4 processor, a G5 will help with the speed of Leopard. I have the same G5 as you and it works great on Leopard.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.