powermac g5 2.3ghz dp

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by franciscogchin, Jul 28, 2010.

1. franciscogchin macrumors newbie

Hi, Im considering getting a mac, either a desktop or a laptop. size as far as desktop doesnt matter, as far as laptop I would prefer something bigger than 12". the reason why I am posting this in the desktop forums is because I am looking at a Powermac G5 2.3ghz.

it comes with only 1gb of ram, osx 10.5, 250gb hd, and this is the 2005 model so the ram can be upgraded up to 8gb (not 16). now I dont want to get a desktop that doesnt succeed my current one (hp pavilion slimline s3400f pc) I can get this computer without keyboard or mouse, for around 300 dollars (US)..specs on my computer are: 2.70ghz dual core, 4gb ram, 500gb hd, vista 32bit and 64bit ubuntu 10.04...

I would mainly be using it for homework and watching videos on the internet, maybe light video and picture editing and music recording (through an art tube pre interface)..

I could get a 2ghz dp, for around 225 to 250, is the 75ish dollar save worth it for the .3ghz difference?
    what do you guys think?

on the other hand if I got a laptop I wouldnt really care if it didn surpass my current computer because I would use it mainly for word and internet and dvds...

edit: I would love a macbook even form like 2006, but they are still around 500, and I dont have that much right now.

2. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

Just so you know, all of those Power Macs will be slower than your current PC according to geekbench. (link and link)

3. Hrududu macrumors 68020

Hrududu

Ya know, I used my June 04 Dual 2.0GHz Powermac for a week while my MBP was getting a new logicboard installed (C2D 2.16 with 3Gb of RAM) and I honestly didn't see any performance difference in day to day tasks. This impressed me not because of the .16GHz difference, but because the G5 had 1GB less RAM, and a MUCH older graphics card. The one you're looking at has a faster processor, and a better graphics card than mine. I wouldn't mind that extra .3GHz one bit, and I could use a G5 as my everyday machine without a problem. If you can get it up to 2GB of RAM or better, it helps a lot. If the price is right for you, I'd go for it. G5's are great systems.

4. franciscogchin thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks guys, I still am not sure, especially because of the apposing posts, haha.

5. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

If possible, go for an Intel Mac. PowerPC Macs can't even run the latest version of Mac OS X.

6. franciscogchin thread starter macrumors newbie

I would if I had enough money..everything intel (mac) is above 500...my limit is like 350ish.

edit: I would be using the powermac as my main desktop, but I would likely get a pc laptop for cheap to carry around..or I could use my current pc as my main desktop and have a apple laptop. but I cant seem to find a macbook in my price range.

7. OrangeSVTguy macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

The 2.3ghz Dual Core model will support 16gb of memory as it uses DDR2 which is much cheaper than the dual 2.0ghz model. They do make a 2.3 Dual Processor version and that only takes 8gb of DDR memory and has AGP graphics. That is a pre-2005 model though.

You can roughly get 2x the memory for the same price as the older system. If you can get the 2.3DC for under $300 then that is a pretty good price. You can also get an older Intel Mini as those are in the $300 price range.

8. VanneDC macrumors 6502a

VanneDC

there still good boxes, esp if you chuck a new HD in them, and get as miuch ram as you can afford without going over budget (as then you could have proberly got an intel box instead)

if you need to do any windows stuff, forget about it on a PPC mac. If you dont need windows, there an awesome machine and will serve you well for years to come!!!

9. PowerGamerX macrumors 6502a

PowerGamerX

Sorry, I don't want to thread crap or anything but, its 'they're' not "there".

There - In relation to somethings position, where it's located etc. -"There is the Mac Mini. It's on the table"
    Their - Signifying ownership -"Their iMac just died"
    They're - Contraction of 'They' and 'Are' -"They're still good boxes"

/Grammar-Nazi post.