Powermac G5 2,3GHz dual core or macbook?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Menno87, Jul 18, 2008.

1. Menno87 macrumors newbie

I have the ability to buy an new macbook 2,1GHz or the latest powermac generation with the dual core G5 processor. 900 euro's for the G5 and about the same for the macbook. The G5 comes with 6gb of ram and a Geforce 6600with 256mb of ram.. I will be using it with a 23" ACD and be working with Photoshop files with the size of 300-700mb. What will be faster in both processor en core image performance? I have some doubts about the X3100 and 1920x1080 I think it wil deliver choppy animations/performance.

2. macworkerbee macrumors 6502

That's a tough call. The G5 seems like the better deal to me considering you want to work with larger photoshop files. The 6GBs of ram will help a lot with that. The macbook will just choke on some larger files and the graphics will be a bit choppy on your 23" display.

While it is most likely a bit short sighted, I would go with the G5 for now.

3. nick9191 macrumors 68040

4. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

The CPU in the MacBook is probably a bit faster, but because of your usage the PM G5 will be better in every other way - hard disk speed/expandability, RAM, graphics.

I'd go with the G5.

5. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

Well I think the MB would be faster assuming you max the RAM, add an external HD and screen assuming you buy CS3. Since Photoshop is 32bit and will not be 64bit on Mac OS X until CS5 4 or 6GB of RAM will make no difference unless multiple productivity apps are open. As for GPU acceleration in CS4, given current GPU accelerated programs I would think that the 6600 will not be supported for acceleration only much more recent video cards.

6. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I'm going to agree with others here and say G5. Sounds like you'll need the video card. Speaking as someone who owns the last rev G5 and a penryn BlackBook, I can tell you that the G5 will be much better for you.

7. portent macrumors 6502a

The MacBook's CPU would run faster. The G5 has a higher memory limit and a faster disk. I suspect the MacBook would feel faster most of the time, provided you loaded it with as much memory as it could hold.

Also, it would be new, with a warranty. The G5 would have three years of wear and tear, with no warranty to back you up if it died.

Photoshop does not use 3D graphics, nor does it take advantage of Core Image. So the GPU is not an issue.

8. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Sounds like he's also doing some animation. MB is not the best for that. And no- speaking as an owner of both, the MacBook doesn't feel faster- it feels about the same, especially for daily mundane stuff. Since it sounds like he's doing some animation/video work, the G5 will be better. The video card, RAM and faster hard drive are what gives it the edge.