PowerMac G5 airport problems (after sw update)

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by ZZ Bottom, Aug 3, 2010.

1. ZZ Bottom macrumors 6502a

I have done some research but keep finding many threads without a resolution.

I recently was given a dual 2.5 PowerMac G5 with the HD removed. It had been upgraded with an airport card. After installing a brand new Seagate HD and installing a retail copy of 10.5.6, everything appeared to be working fine. The airport card connecting as it should to my home network where two other macs connect with no issues.

THEN, I ran software update which included the 10.5.8 updates and an airport related update. Now the airport card will not maintain a connection. When I try connecting and inputting the password, I receive a "connection timed out" error.

Anyone have any insight? Also, I noticed that there is no external antenna attached, which apparently should be on this particular model. However, as I said, the wifi had been working fine prior to running the updates (which were rather hefty and were downloaded via wifi).

2. ZZ Bottom thread starter macrumors 6502a

Just thought I'd share my solution with everyone else:

Amazingly, after adding one of the external OEM antennas, the wifi appears to be working perfectly after several reboots. Perhaps the software update effected the airport cards signal strength abilities. The part can be had from apple for about 10$.

3. OrangeSVTguy macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

That's a good price on that antenna. I see them on ebay for $20+!

Glad you worked it out. I used a safety pin as an antenna in my old DP G5. Gotta love the awesome built in antennas on the dual-core models:p +1 Apple.

4. Hrududu macrumors 68020

Hrududu

I was fortunate enough to get an antenna locally for $10 for mine. I think 10.5 may have been a bit less generous when showing Airport connection. For example, my Cube used to show all 4 bars when connected. After upgrading to Leopard, it now shows 2.