PowerMac G5 and MacBook or Mac Pro?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by NickD, Jul 1, 2007.

?

Which Setup?

1. G5 and Macbook

2 vote(s)
    25.0%
  2. Mac Pro

6 vote(s)
    75.0%
  1. NickD macrumors 6502a

NickD

I will be upgrading my workstation for media and design work before next summer, and need some advice.

I'm going to be working with digital images, CS3, and some Final Cut in my media business, and need to decide which setup to purchase.

I need to have at least 1 Intel machine for Windows work, but I'm not sure whether I should purchase a G5 and a Macbook, or a Mac Pro. Would the G5 be sufficient for media work, or should I move to the Mac Pro?

NickD

2. epicwelshman macrumors 6502a

epicwelshman

Move to the Mac Pro. If you're doing design and media work that requires a pro machine (which you obv do) then it's prob best to stay current and buy the latest hardware, i.e., the Mac Pro, especially as it's an Intel machine. it would suck to buy the PowerMac G5 then require software that was intel-only down the line.

3. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

I'm sure you meant PowerMac...

But I agree, you would want to buy the Mac Pro, some apps are now moving to only work on Intel, so it would not be good to buy a PPC machine now and use it as your main machine.

4. epicwelshman macrumors 6502a

epicwelshman

Yes, apologies... it would suck to buy the PowerMac G5 and then find you need the Mac Pro :)

5. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

Macbook Pro + External Display.. best of both worlds.

6. NickD thread starter macrumors 6502a

NickD

Yeah, but the MacBook Pro isn't quite as upgradeable. Would you still feel comfortable with it for graphics/video work though?