Powermac G5 as HTPC problems

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Fiskmas, Jun 8, 2012.

1. Fiskmas macrumors newbie

Hello everyone at MacRumors!

Yesterday I bought a secondhand G5 and I want to use it as a sleak HTPC.

Specs:
    2x PowerMac Dualcore 2,5 Ghz
    1,5 GB RAM
    Nvidia 7800 GT Vcard 256MB
    250 GB harddisk

I am pairing it with a Sharp Aquos TV via a HDMI --> HDMI cable with a DVI block on the G5. I am running into some issues which I hope you guys can help me with!

Issue #1: The G5 will not give vision via the HDMI --> HDMI cable and using only the Sharp TV on its own. It makes noise and when I change the channel to the proper source its fans start blowing at top speed and it does that non-stop. Sometimes I see the apple logo at startup but this is roughly 50/50.
    When I plug in a VGA --> DVI display in the other port it WILL detect that and go to the desktop pretty fine. At display settings I can even see the Sharp, set the resolution and disconnect the VGA screen and it keeps working... At system restart however, it goes back to line 1 of this paragraph.

Issue #2: When I do get it in working condition via the VGA screen 'trick' the screen does not fill my TV all the way. With Overscan on it goes a tad to far and the top bar falls of completely as well as 2cm's on both sides and 0,5cm's on the bottom.

Any idea's how to solve this?!

Kindest regards,

Fisk

2. Litany macrumors member

A G5 is a terrible HTPC. Its very noisy, sucks a lot of power and makes a lot of heat.

3. Fiskmas thread starter macrumors newbie

Fair point, I really like the looks of it though. What are you using yours for? Main PC?

4. Colpeas macrumors 6502

Colpeas

Late-2005 Dual 2.0GHz - my main PC. I used to own a MacBook, but it was stolen last month and the police couldn't track it down, so I us my G5 daily ever since...
    G5 is a beast, but not really good to be used as a HTPC, exactly for the reasons mentioned above. The late-2005 PMG5 has a 1000W PSU for a good reason.

5. Fiskmas thread starter macrumors newbie

Ah i have a late 2005 model... didn't know it had a 1000watt PSU in it... come to think of it i wanted it to operate 24/7 as a server as well... not such a good idea i recon... well then i am selling it caus i have enough pc's already