PowerMac g5 as Media server

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Flunkyturtle, Jun 18, 2012.

1. Flunkyturtle macrumors 6502

Hi Guys,

I've searched around and couldnt find specific answers to my questions.

I'm looking for a media server that i can put my itunes library on and home share to my other devices.

Trying to work out how many drives a G5 can hold? and is there a limit on the capacity per drive.

I'm also pressuming that they came with disc drives, could i remove that and fit another drive?

And whether anyone thinks there is a better alternative.

Also a rough guideline on price, anything to look out for when buying one?

Thanks,

Josh

2. estrides macrumors regular

estrides

The G5 is a workhorse...but others will recommend an older G4. They don't consume much power and can host a lot of drives with the correct brackets and adapters!

Just an idea.

3. Flunkyturtle thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the advice, as far as i'm aware the g4's arent supported for the latest version of itunes? so i cant homeshare or something?

It sounds silly but i just love the form of the g5 though.

4. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

G4's G5's can both run iTunes 10.6.3 as long as they are running Leopard. Just keep in mind Apple may drop support for Leopard when the next major version of iTunes comes out. It'll likely be out this fall.

I too would suggest a G4 over a G5. They are quieter and use less power. A G5 can hold two SATA drives at a maximum size of one 2TB and one no size limit. Along with two PATA drives of any size.