PowerMac G5 as Time machine server for multiple Macs?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by RedCroissant, Apr 21, 2015.

1. RedCroissant Suspended

Hello everyone.

I know someone else already started a thread to make their G5 a server, but what I want to do with the Dual 2.3(3.5GB RAM) running OS X 10.5.8 is find a SATA controller card and then use the superdrive bay to house 2 extra HDDs that my iMac, G5 Quad, and my wife's C2D iMac would back up to.

Does this make sense and would I have to use GUID as the partition scheme for these HDDs?

2. bunnspecial macrumors 603

bunnspecial

I use my Xserve G5 as a time machine server for all my PPC Macs. I have a 2TB drive in the third HDD bay for just that purpose.

With Leopard Server, it's super easy. Just designate the server in the server contorl panel as a time machine server. Then, connect other computers to your network(either by ethernet or WiFi) and they will automatically find the drive and ask if you want to use it.

I haven't tried too hard yet to make it work with 10.9, but suspect that I could probably just mount the network drive and then designate that as a time machine drive. It's not a huge deal-just not as easy as if everything's running Leopard.

I'll also put in a plug and mention that if you don't want to spend a bunch of time messing around with it, the price you'll pay for Leopard Server($70-120 depending on how the Ebay auctions fall) makes it worth every penny when you're trying to do something like this.

3. RedCroissant thread starter Suspended

Awesome! Thanks! I was just thinking about Dropbox again and then reconsidering individual HDDs connected to each machine for a back up and then realized that I have perfectly GREAT G5 without a superdrive, so why not do that?! Thanks again!