Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sunrunner

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 27, 2003
Its been a longer-than-average time since the last speed boost to the desktop line. With the 2.5ghz G5 having been out for about 8 months now, how long will it be until the 3ghz is introduced? All you big brains out there with experience close to the hardware development cycle of Apple, let me know what you think!

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
Apple cannot do anything until IBM can deliver CPUs at a certain speed, within Apple's available specifications, and in quantity.

Sunrunner

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 27, 2003
Sun Baked said:
Apple cannot do anything until IBM can deliver CPUs at a certain speed, within Apple's available specifications, and in quantity.

Very true. This being the case, anyone heard any rumblings from IBM? The partnership that at one time seemed so awsome when Apple switched from Motorola is starting to loose some of it's luster I think. Their fab problems are causeing Jobs to run quite a bit behind his initial promise of a 3Ghz desktop.

maya

macrumors 68040
Oct 7, 2004
somewhere between here and there.
Sunrunner said:
Very true. This being the case, anyone heard any rumblings from IBM? The partnership that at one time seemed so awsome when Apple switched from Motorola is starting to loose some of it's luster I think. Their fab problems are causeing Jobs to run quite a bit behind his initial promise of a 3Ghz desktop.

He can always exceed his delayed promise by release a dual core dual 3.5GHz or even a 4GHz G5 PowerMac. ;) :)

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
maya said:
He can always exceed his delayed promise by release a dual core dual 3.5GHz or even a 4GHz G5 PowerMac. ;) :)

From your lips maya, that would be awesome. Do think that we will know within a few months know what the next step will be for the Power Mac. The good news of the cooperation between Apple and IBM is that IBM has finally been able to meet increased production demand.

maya

macrumors 68040
Oct 7, 2004
somewhere between here and there.
wdlove said:
From your lips maya, that would be awesome. Do think that we will know within a few months know what the next step will be for the Power Mac. The good news of the cooperation between Apple and IBM is that IBM has finally been able to meet increased production demand.

Considering the 2.5GHz G5 chips are shipping on the same day now. :)

Sunrunner

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 27, 2003
maya said:
Considering the 2.5GHz G5 chips are shipping on the same day now. :)

Even hitting the refurb page in large quantity... perhaps a hint at imminent updates?

TEG

macrumors 604
Jan 21, 2002
Langley, Washington
Well... I expect G5 upgrades this summer. Enough to blow the Intel (doh!) chips to high heaven. The IBM relationship is going well, and I believe that the problem is not that they can't make enough of the faster chips, but that the quality of the chips, or other new hardware to go with the upgrade, is not up to par, yet. I am quite aware of how much testing, and retesting must happen with hardware (and Software) before even putting it on a roadmap to release. Apple may also be having problems related to the EU's "no lead" inititive, to force companies to use crappier materials in their solder to keep tossed systems from leaking lead in the future. And as of yet, no good substitute has been found.

Personally I hope for the following by August 2005:

PowerMac G5 - 2.5, 3.0, 3.5 GHZ (All Dual)
iMac G5 - 1.8, 2.0, 2.5 Ghz (Single)
Mac mini G4 - 1.4, 1.6 Ghz (Single)
XServe G5 - 3.0, 3.5 Ghz (Dual)

PowerBook G5 - 1.6, 1.8 Ghz (Single)
iBook G4 - 1.25, 1.5 Ghz (Single)

Tiger will be released on April 15, 2005.

TEG

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.