Price Advice Powermac G5 dual 1.8 with improvements

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by mike457, Feb 9, 2012.

1. mike457 macrumors 6502

I bought this just over a year ago for a project, which is now completed, and I added a number of upgrades for that project. It did take a knock on the upper handle in being shipped to me, but the case closes properly and it does not affect performance.

Specs:
    PowerMac7,3
    Processor: 2X1.8 GHz
    Memory: 4GB
    GeForce FX 5200

My upgrades:
    Sonnet SATA 4-port PCI card
    G5 Jive (allows 3 extra hard drives)
    3 1TB WD Green drives
    1 1.5TB WD Green drive
    1 1.5TB Seagate 7200RPM drive (boot drive)
    Firewire PCI card 2X800, 1X400
    USB PCI card 4XUSB2

It does not have bluetooth or wireless, though I have used USB adapters for both (which I don't intend to include) and they work well.

I'm a little unsure how to price this in Canada, because the upgrades did cost a lot. The hard drives alone are worth a bundle nowadays, and the SATA/Jive combination cost $300 from OWC.

When I sell something, I always like to feel that I've given a good deal to someone and that I'm getting fair value.

Advice gratefully appreciated.

Thanks

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Check Mac2Sell, eBay, or Amazon for prices of equivalent models, to get an idea of what you may be able to charge.

3. mike457 thread starter macrumors 6502

Unfortunately, mine is too out of the ordinary for those to be really helpful. Mac2Sell, for example, lists this at $710, and the chief difference-making factor is the 6TB of hard drives. With the 80GB hard drive it came with, Mac2Sell lists it at $240.

4. js81 macrumors 65816

js81

Part it out. Like you said, the hard drives themselves are worth a bundle (~$100 each). Pull the drives and the Jive, put the 80GB original back in, and sell each individually. That's my advice at least... :)

5. mike457 thread starter macrumors 6502

That probably makes sense. In the ideal universe, I'd love to find someone who needs this particular combination, so I don't have to break it up, but oh, well.

Thanks