PowerMac G5 Dual Display Problems

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by G.N, Jan 23, 2013.

1. G.N macrumors newbie

I recently bought myself a small TV. with a resolution of 1920x1080 to replace an aging 18" monitor. after setting it up, i sets its relative position to my secondary monitor but what i noticed was that it only somewhat lines up. what i mean by this is that when i drag a window from one display to another, the tops of the screens line up very well but the bottom of the secondary is recognized higher then it actually is.

if it is of any help, the specs of the computer are PowerMac G5 dual 2.0 GHz early 2005 with ATI Radeon 9600 and the TV is an Insignia NS-24E340A13 while the other monitor is an acer AL2223W with a resolution of 1680x1050

any help would be appreciated

2. MisterKeeks macrumors 68000

MisterKeeks

System Preferences> Displays. It isn't really possible to get them perfect unless they are the same make.

3. G.N thread starter macrumors newbie

ive already set it up the closest that i could but as far as i can tell, the problem is that os x is recognizing the Acer as slimmer when the TV when they're actually the same width. the only solution to this i could think of would be to manually specify the dimensions of each display. does anybody know of an app or something that could allow me to do this or something similar?

4. MisterKeeks macrumors 68000

MisterKeeks

Not that I know of. I was running 2x displays with my DP 1.8 until I got the 2.7, when each machine took a monitor. I just had to live with it being a bit off, and quite honestly I didn't care.

5. G.N thread starter macrumors newbie

its not a major issue for me but just knowing that its there really gets to me but i guess im going to have to get used to it

6. Jethryn Freyman macrumors 68020

Jethryn Freyman

I used dual monitors for a bit on my G5, both the same model Dell with a resolution each of 2048x1152, running over DVI from an ATI Fire GL X3. No problems there. If you mix monitors, then it won't be perfect.

7. AdrianK macrumors 68020

The two displays have different pixel densities, meaning that the pixels on one are larger than the pixels on the other. Therefor, when you drag a window from one to the other it will be taller on one display than the other. The only way to prevent it is to buy two monitors with the same pixel densities (yours are actually remarkably close - 91.79 tv vs 90.05 monitor).

8. G.N thread starter macrumors newbie

that would actually explain why the screens were so messed up. thanks for the clarification. looks like im just going to have to find myself a monitor with the same resolution and pixel density as the tv