PowerMac G5 Ethernet Issue

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Norseman, Jul 27, 2014.

1. Norseman macrumors newbie

Norseman

I can't figure out what is causing this so I thought I might post my issue here and see if somebody has an idea. I have the ethernet of my PowerMac connected to my Wi-Fi range extender. If I stop using the Internet for several minutes and then want to browse again, I have to bring up my network settings, turn off DHCP and hit apply. It'll lose all the IP info, then I turn DHCP back on and hit apply and when it renews the IP address I can start browsing again. Is there some power saver setting that might be causing it to lose connection? All the other devices attached to this range extender work just fine so I'm sure it's the Mac and not the range extender causing the problem. I'll have to post the OS and everything when I get back home. I forget all the details of my system.

2. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Your router probably isn't renegotiating a DHCP agreement with the Mac after the lease is up. Try setting the lease time to be longer on the router or set a static IP on the Mac!

3. Norseman thread starter macrumors newbie

Norseman

Ok I will just set it up for manual IP and reserve that IP address on my router and see if that resolves the problem.

Thanks for the tip!

4. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

You could also put the IP outside the DHCP range on the router.

5. Norseman, Aug 7, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2014

Norseman thread starter macrumors newbie

Norseman

Giving it a manual IP address doesn't help. It does the very same thing it was doing before.

I don't think it's losing it's IP. If I JUST bootup and then use the internet right away, no problem. Then let's say I stop using the Mac for like 2-3 minutes ...nothing has happened ...no screensaver or power saver has come up ...nothing. And then I try to go to a new website in Safari (or Camino) it just hangs. I have to open the Network Preferences (I'll see the ethernet connection and it says connects and has a green light and I see all the IP info), turn off DHCP and hit Apply, then turn on DHCP again and hit Apply and when it acquires a new address (or I manually reenter the reserved IP address) it'll start working again. Could it really lose its IP address that quick?

Is there something I can open to look at the equivalent of "Microsoft Services" to see if something is stopping that shouldn't?

6. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Try doing a full static address rather than just DHCP with a manual address.

7. Norseman thread starter macrumors newbie

Norseman

I have tried both ways and get the same exact results. Here's what happened today:

I had watched a video on YouTube and then walked away for about 10 minutes. When I came back I hit the little "replay" icon in the bottom left corner and it played a few seconds and then it hung up like it always does when you've left it alone for a few minutes. Only instead of going in and turning off the ethernet connection and then turning it back on (and either manually entering all the IP info or hitting DHCP and then Apply) I just let the wheel spin. After about 10 minutes the video played again. I had the Activity Monitor up all this time, but I don't see anything really jumping out at me. I am going to "Google" all the Processes (other than the apps I know) that are running and see if anything shakes out as messing with my network connection.

8. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

So what model Wi-Fi Extender is this and what router is it connected to?