powermac g5 fan issue?

masterjedi73

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 12, 2004
Hey y'all -

I upgraded to Tiger 10.4.6 and now my fan revs up a lot more than it used to. Anyone else have this issue? Is it an issue?

masterjedi73

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 12, 2004
I asked the guys at the genius bar about it, and they said that's what it's supposed to do. I don't think that's true since it never did it with Panther.

iGary

May 26, 2004
Randy's House
masterjedi73 said:
I asked the guys at the genius bar about it, and they said that's what it's supposed to do. I don't think that's true since it never did it with Panther.
What are your temps?

You might try resetting your firmware (backup your datd first)...

Hold down the CMD-OPT-O-F keys during startup.

type in "reset-all" (sans quotes)

Computer will restart.

Brize

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2004
Europe
I had this problem with 10.3.8 and it re-occurred with a couple of versions of Tiger (10.4.3 and 10.4.4, I think).

Try adjusting the Processor Performance in Energy Saver - that might solve the problem.

TMA

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2003
England
I've always run my PowerMac with these settings:

System Preferences > Energy Saver > Options > Processor Performance: Highest

I also use the CHUD/'Processor' system preferences tip to disable CPU 'Nap' mode. This stops the CPU power cycling and in turn prevents the PSU from chirping/squealing.

My PowerMac is very quiet!

Brize

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2004
Europe
TMA said:
I've always run my PowerMac with these settings:

System Preferences > Energy Saver > Options > Processor Performance: Highest
I can't remember the setting I used under 10.3.8, but I had to use 'Reduced' under those two versions of Tiger. Needless to say, I wasn't pleased at having to take a performance hit just to keep the machine quiet.

TMA

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2003
England
Reduced works ok for me but obviously I don't quite fancy 'reduced' performance. 'Automatic' is silly, it's by far the noisiest mode, the fans will spin up to high speed for 5-10 seconds every 5 minutes or so.

Never get fans on full speed in 'Highest' mode.

Brize

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2004
Europe
Yep, I use Highest wherever possible as well. I was forced into using Reduced on those two versions of Tiger because Automatic and Highest both caused the fans to spin constantly.