PowerMac G5 for fun

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by jakesaunders27, Oct 26, 2013.

1. jakesaunders27 macrumors 6502a

jakesaunders27

Hi,
    new to this area of the forum as i would like to get myself a PowerMac G5 and try and upgrade as good as i can just for fun as i have a pretty decent spec mac pro so this is just a fun project. Where should i start which model should i look at and where should i get bits for it from and do ssds work with the G5s?

Thank you

2. zackkmac macrumors 6502a

I don't really know which model to recommend because I don't know what you plan to do with it, but I will say that ones with the LCS (liquid cooling system) have leaking issues in some cases. And a lot of dual G5s (not sure which exact models) have memory slot solder issues. I have a dual 2GHz that has died because of that.

As far as where to get parts, cheapest place is probably eBay. And yes, SSDs will work but the G5s use SATA 1, so you will be limited to speeds of 1.5Gbs. Much better than IDE and an SSD will bring out the most in it, but it won't be like your Mac Pro, especially if you have any SSDs installed in it.

3. jakesaunders27 thread starter macrumors 6502a

jakesaunders27

Thanks yeah i have heard about the LCS on some being a bit dodgy and I'm not really to sure what i want to do with it! just fancy getting one.

4. JaguarGod macrumors 6502

JaguarGod

Well, this is just my recommendation as I have a few G5's. I would get either the QUAD (which I LOVE) or the dual-core 2.3Ghz (if you do not want the LCS that is in the Quad) and max it out. 16GB RAM and a flashed 7800 GTX are always a good thing.

It is quite cool to have a Mac that is as maxed out as it can get, especially the last of the PPC Macs. The Quad is a great machine. I have had three over the years and they have been workhorses.

Again, just my opinion as it does not mean much.;)

5. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

SSDs

Jaguar hit the nail on the head with the video card and RAM. Maxing these things will be some of the best money you can drop into it. As for SSDs the onboard SATA controller supports SATA I. A SATA II SSD will work perfectly in there and will scale back to SATA I speeds. In theory SATA III SSDs should work but they are more trouble than they are worth and usually don't.

To be honest with you, a large 7200 RPM hard drive would probably be better and cheaper. In my G5 I have a 1TB WD Caviar Blue which is 7200 RPM. I only saw slightly better speeds with the SSD which easily are discredited by the cost associated.

:apple: Altemose :apple:

6. wobegong Guest

I have the 2.3 Dual core model and it's pretty maxed, 16Gb RAM, 7800GTX, 250Gb SSD & 2Tb HD, 23" Cinema Display, Logitech 720p webcam and a nice set of Bowers & Wilkins MM-1 speakers.

I love it and use it as my 'main' machine when at home (the MBP is for travelling), has my main music iTunes library, all my photo's are edited and stored here (iPhoto'09 & Aperture (can never decide which to use and keep flipping between them).

I'll continue to use it until some of the old program versions stop working (eg. Skype becomes completely unusable (no voice), Spotify, Evernote, Dropbox).

But for now it's doing the business just fine and still impresses people thats its a 2005 machine. Have fun :)