Powermac G5 freezes during/after Leopard install

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by beestigbeestje, Mar 5, 2012.

1. beestigbeestje macrumors regular

Hello guys,

Current situation : I'm running a Power Mac G5 7,3 Dual 2 GHZ 2,5gb RAM with tiger.

Got the computer from a company saying it just froze randomly. It also ran Tiger back then.

So, reinstalling the whole thing didn't help, freezes after 10 minutes or so (at the desktop, no apps running). Ran Hardware Monitor Test, no issues there, just froze again
    Now, what helped, was, booting up the computer in Open Firmware and "set-defaults" did the trick. Tiger has been up for hours now.
    BUT, I want to install leopard. I tried my original retail dvd but leopard freezes during installation, tried several times. Sometimes it doesn't even find the dvd.

so, I downloaded a restore dmg from the internet (10.5.8 ppc only) and restored it with superduper on a 2d harddrive. The powermac boots fine off it, but freezes after a half hour or so.

Booting into tiger doesn't appear to have the issue anymore

Now, I made a 2d partition on my 1st drive (with tiger install) to restore leopard 10.5.8 on with superduper (running on tiger), but after a while the freeze occurs again.

It's like this computer really doesn't want anything to do with leopard.

Is someone seeing the problem here?

Thanks!

2. tersono macrumors 68000

tersono

Could be a RAM issue, which aren't always correctly reported by hardware test. Try running it with a single stick of ram - if it still freezes, try a different stick in a different slot. A little trial and error might find where the problem lies...

3. beestigbeestje thread starter macrumors regular

A g5 doesn't boot with a single stick, it always has to be in both slots.
    Already swapped RAM. It keeps happening anyhow.
    Tiger is running fine on the machine now. It's just leopard that is mean.