PowerMac G5 Graphics card on its way out? Options to replace it

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by GXtra, Oct 13, 2008.

1. GXtra macrumors newbie

I'm on a PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz, and I think my graphics card may be quitting on me.

I use a 23" ACD, and whenever I turn on my computer, the monitor light will flicker on, but then turn right back off. It sounds like the computer is booting up, just not getting anything on the display. If I fumble with the connection for a few minutes (unplug, plug back in a few times), it usually (sometimes not) comes back. It does the same thing with a different monitor.

So is this my graphics card going out? I opened up the case and made sure it was seated properly; everything looked fine. Anything else to check?

If this is bound to keep happening, I'd like to replace it. What are my options? I know nothing about replacing video cards in a Mac. I don't need anything too fancy. I did the "upgrade my computer" on OWC's site, but no options show up for video card upgrades.

Current graphics card: ATI Radeon 9600 XT

Thanks!

2. IroquoisPliskin macrumors regular

Search eBay for "G5 agp", there are many options to choose from.

3. GXtra thread starter macrumors newbie

I can't go through eBay; I work for a major university (this is my work computer) and they won't reimburse me for a purchase like this through eBay.

Any other options?

4. TDM21 macrumors 6502a

TDM21

You could try Other World Computing (http://eshop.macsales.com). The have 9600s and 9800s in stock for Macs. If you search around you might be able to find a X800, 9650, NIVIDIA 5200, or 6800

5. GXtra thread starter macrumors newbie

Will this one work? (OWC)

It says "not compatible with Power Mac G5 Dual Core systems or later," but since my computer is just "Dual 2Ghz"...I'm fine, correct?

But before I do this -- are the symptoms in my OP indicative of my graphics card failing?

6. TDM21 macrumors 6502a

TDM21

If your PowerMac has a 9600XT right now then you have a Dual Processor G5 with AGP graphics. In that case then the 9600 from OWC should work fine.