PowerMac G5 Graphics Question

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Webbbrian, Feb 20, 2017.

1. Webbbrian macrumors newbie

Webbbrian

I'm looking to do three independent monitors from my PowerMac G5. Long story short, I have a projector, display monitor, and stage display (confidence monitor, whatever you want to call it) that each need an independent display send. Right now, we're able to do two off of a DVI and a lightning (to HDMI), but can't add the third using the second lightning because, it would seem, it will only do two monitors. Is there a way I can add a third display?

2. jbarley macrumors 68030

jbarley

Shouldn't be a problem, we have a member of this forum who runs six, yes I said 6 monitors from his G5.
    eyoungren, feel free to jump in here and help me out anytime...:D

-1.jpg

3. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

You'll need another video card.

I don't believe there were any video cards made for the G5 (let alone the G4) that will drive three displays.

What the picture @jbarley shares above does not show is that I have three video cards inside this G5. Each one driving two displays. This has been my setup since obtaining three cards way back when for my former G4 Quicksilver.

Depending on your model of G5 it will determine whether you need an AGP card/PCI/PCI-X or all PCI-E.

4. Webbbrian thread starter macrumors newbie

Webbbrian

So if I come back here, say... tomorrow... with the model of G5 I've got, would you be able to help me hunt down what I'll need?

5. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Well, I can help a bit right now.

If you have a late 2005 Mac which is either 2.0, 2.3 Dual Core or a 2.5 Quad then it's PCI-E. Anything earlier will be a mix of AGP for the primary video card and PCI/PCI-X.