Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Wilson

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 26, 2004
I have a Powermac Dual 2.0 Rev. A and I want to buy another hard drive. Are there things I should look for before I go out and buy myself a hard drive that won't work. I know one thing for sure is that it is a Serial-ATA(SATA) that I need. Is there anything else I need to know? Are there any limits in hard drive size I need to watch out for? The one that came stock was 160GB...I'm looking to get a second hard drive that's 200GB+.

Any recommendations? A certain brand I should get? The last thing I want to do is buy a hard drive, open the package, install it and find out that it doesn't work. I'll be wasting time and money.

I'm running Panther 10.3.9....don't know if that makes a difference.

Any help on this will be much appreciated.

rickvanr

macrumors 68040
Apr 10, 2002
Brockville
Just get a SATA drive. SATA2 is out now, but I don't know if they are backwards compatible, just get a SATA drive to be safe. I've been happy with Western Digital drives I've bought, but I recently added an additional 250GB drive to my G5 and went with a Maxtor in part to the price and the 16MB cache it had and it's performed well.

CTSxViper

macrumors regular
Mar 8, 2005
Hanover PA
Wilson said:
I have a Powermac Dual 2.0 Rev. A and I want to buy another hard drive. Are there things I should look for before I go out and buy myself a hard drive that won't work. I know one thing for sure is that it is a Serial-ATA(SATA) that I need. Is there anything else I need to know? Are there any limits in hard drive size I need to watch out for? The one that came stock was 160GB...I'm looking to get a second hard drive that's 200GB+.

Any recommendations? A certain brand I should get? The last thing I want to do is buy a hard drive, open the package, install it and find out that it doesn't work. I'll be wasting time and money.

I'm running Panther 10.3.9....don't know if that makes a difference.

Any help on this will be much appreciated.

Any brand is okay. WD or Seagate I prefer. Get a 250 gig if you can. It will be worth it, and give you lots of space. Also, you can always add a couple of external Lacie Drives, firewire or USB 2.0. They are nice also, and only require to plug them into your ports and setup thru OSX. That's it.. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.