POWERMAC G5 hard drive screws

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by rasampson, Jan 19, 2008.

1. rasampson macrumors newbie

Hi,
    Excuse me if this is a question that has been asked before. I searched the forum and did no find anything in reference to my question.

I added a second drive to my G5 and used up the extra 4 rubber coated HD screws. I then replaced the main drive but could not get 2 of the mounting screws out of the slots. I tried everything but they would not budge.

Where can I order replacements? It is not worth the time to call apple support for this info. Would I be able to get screws at my local MA Apple store? Are there any screws generally available on the market that I could substitute?

2. Makosuke macrumors 603

I'm assuming they stripped horribly when you tried to remove them? Just curious if you used a properly-sized screwdriver, since I've swapped around drives in my G5 several times and those screws were always easy to get out, and I've seen many situations where if you used an under or oversized screwdriver it'll wreck the screws.

Regardless, no, they're kind of specialized, so I doubt there's any particularly good stand-in you're going to find in a hardware store (though if you go and look through the screw bins you MIGHT find something that'd work if you're desperate).

I'm guessing the Apple Store would have some around, but not entirely sure whether it'll be easy to get them to sell them to you--I expect they're considered one of those "repair" parts that are hard to get.

Alternately, do a Google search for "G5 drive screws"--the Google product section came up with one place selling them on the first page, though they were $20 for a set of 4.

3. amactec macrumors newbie

The Apple Store can order them for you, though they may mark them up so much it's not worth it. Also you would have to wait for them to get ordered and shipped. But unless you are rough with your mac, two screws will hold the drive. If that makes you shudder, use one from the other drive, then they will both have three.