PowerMac g5 Have I Got Airport

rph105

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 21, 2007
Ok in the back of my mac i have these 2 hole looking ports, one with the bluetooth symbol and one with the airport symbol, i got given some antenna when i bought the mac, does this mean i have airport or no? im not sure

FireArse

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2004
Ok in the back of my mac i have these 2 hole looking ports, one with the bluetooth symbol and one with the airport symbol, i got given some antenna when i bought the mac, does this mean i have airport or no? im not sure
No, it doesn't mean you definitely have airport - it's simply the antenna you use should you have one installed. To see if OS X recognized airport / bluetooth, system profiler is your friend.

FireArse

rph105

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 21, 2007
No, it doesn't mean you definitely have airport - it's simply the antenna you use should you have one installed. To see if OS X recognized airport / bluetooth, system profiler is your friend.

FireArse
ok i dont have one, how would i install an airport card so i can use airport extreme?

FireArse

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2004
Airport card

ok i dont have one, how would i install an airport card so i can use airport extreme?
Well there are a number of places to get one of these cards:

Apple Store USA (you want one of the top two)
eBay etc etc

You can take the unit to an Apple Retail Store, but I don't think it's too hard for a normal user to install. Once you install it, put the antenna in the port you described (if I remember correctly, the aiport antenna was in the shape of a 'T') and away you go!

FireArse

disconap

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2005
Portland, OR
On the G5, the Airport Extreme card is installed just above the RAM (mid-left of the interior, flush to the metal dividing wall on the RAM side). Then just screw in your antenna and you're done!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.