PowerMac g5 Have I Got Airport

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by rph105, Oct 28, 2007.

1. rph105 macrumors 6502

rph105

Ok in the back of my mac i have these 2 hole looking ports, one with the bluetooth symbol and one with the airport symbol, i got given some antenna when i bought the mac, does this mean i have airport or no? im not sure

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

I think it means you have airport. If you open the System Profiler it will tell you...

3. FireArse macrumors 6502a

No, it doesn't mean you definitely have airport - it's simply the antenna you use should you have one installed. To see if OS X recognized airport / bluetooth, system profiler is your friend.

FireArse

4. rph105 thread starter macrumors 6502

rph105

ok i dont have one, how would i install an airport card so i can use airport extreme?

5. FireArse macrumors 6502a

Airport card

Well there are a number of places to get one of these cards:

Apple Store USA (you want one of the top two)
    eBay etc etc

You can take the unit to an Apple Retail Store, but I don't think it's too hard for a normal user to install. Once you install it, put the antenna in the port you described (if I remember correctly, the aiport antenna was in the shape of a 'T') and away you go!

FireArse

6. disconap macrumors 68000

disconap

On the G5, the Airport Extreme card is installed just above the RAM (mid-left of the interior, flush to the metal dividing wall on the RAM side). Then just screw in your antenna and you're done!