PowerMac G5 - HELP!!!!!

jrs2090

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 20, 2005
22
1
Over the past three years, I have been watching Apple Products like a Hawk. Waiting for the right moment to buy myself a PowerMac. Now of course I saved up the allocated money for the top-of-the-line MAC. I am now in a job that requires me to do heavy graphics and 3d work. I am currently getting by using an old PC and my work mac. I would like to be able to streamline everything and work more efficiently. So here is my question:
Should I wait it out for an update?
Is it going to be possible to update to the new OS after the switch in processors?
Is all the software I would currently use on my mac, work with the upcoming OS?

Thanks I'm sorry I am not well informed
 

sw1tcher

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2004
1,645
1,851
jrs2090 said:
Should I wait it out for an update?
No. They were recently updated in April. Check the Buyers Guide.

Is it going to be possible to update to the new OS after the switch in processors?
Yes. Apple's going to be offering OS X for PowerPC for a while.

Is all the software I would currently use on my mac, work with the upcoming OS?
Probably not. It depends. Some apps may require a simple update/patch. Others might require an updated version. And others will simply work without a hitch.
 

jrs2090

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 20, 2005
22
1
but dont' expect another ppc update before the new intel processors
 

sw1tcher

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2004
1,645
1,851
jrs2090 said:
but dont' expect another ppc update before the new intel processors
There will be. We just don't know when. Jobs did say at the WWDC that there are still plenty of PowerPC products coming down the pipeline. What products and what updates we don't know. My guess is it'll be updated G5 PowerMacs since IBM did announce their dual-core PowerPC 970MP processors a while back.
 

sw1tcher

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2004
1,645
1,851
jrs2090 said:
so wait a few weeks? or just go ahead and be screwed?
It'll be at least another 5 or 6 months before we can expect to see PowerMac updates, me thinks. Just get it now if you need it.

I say PowerMac updates at MWSF 06 in January.
 

jrs2090

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 20, 2005
22
1
will the 970 FX processor work with the current motherboard in place on macs?
 

sparky76

macrumors regular
Jul 2, 2003
158
0
If you buy a machine now that meets your needs, no matter what the update you won't be screwed - the machine will still do what you want in 3 years, as far ahead as you can really look. OK, your machine will last longer than that but that is, in my mind, as far ahead as you can expect to look no matter what computer you buy.
 

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
jrs2090 said:
will the 970 FX processor work with the current motherboard in place on macs?
Apple has never made CPU upgrades available, mostly when they upgrade the CPU they come out with a different motherboard. I would highly doubt if there would be a pin-compatible CPU swap.

Third parties like Sonnet create upgrade cards with all the necessary workarounds to upgrade certain machines.
 

Eric5h5

macrumors 68020
Dec 9, 2004
2,411
417
jrs2090 said:
will the 970 FX processor work with the current motherboard in place on macs?
The 970FX has been used for quite a while now; the better part of a year actually. According to the Processor prefs panel, my dual 2.5 G5 is running two PowerPC 970FX v3.0 (tech 0) CPUs. No idea what "tech 0" means....

--Eric
 

andiwm2003

macrumors 601
Mar 29, 2004
4,337
384
Boston, MA
i'm thinking about getting a dual g5 2.3 ghz.

i see it this way:

next ppc update around christmas
next ppc update will bring about 10-20% speed increase at most
next ppc update unlikely will have new features that i absolutely need (new type of WiFi, or H.264 acceleration or so)
i'm hoping for a price drop on ppc's but i won't wait for it

i don't care about 15% speed increase.
i don't care if i have a dual g5 or a dual core.
all the software i need is available, fast and stable on the ppc's now.
os x will be available for the next 3-4 years on todays ppc.

the intel switch will be problematic for the new intel macs that need new software. but todays ppc's with todays software just work. let other people find the bugs and test the software.

so after my vacation i most likely go for a fast (i tested it) dual g5 2.3.

then i will reenter the apple market in 4 years again when blazing fast intel mac's are available with stable software. till then the ppc will do everything i need.

my two cents.

andi