Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Meapplegeek

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 9, 2009
Hey guys, I am new to macrumors and i have a quick question for you guys. I just recently bought a Powermac G5 1.8 DP. I am having an issue with my cd-rom. Its not the cd-rom i have a problem with its the door that won't slid down to let the tray out. Do you guys know if the door is powered or spring loaded? Right now i manually open and close the door to get cd's in and out. Does any one have a schematic of the door assembly? or any suggestions on how to fix this issue?

Thanks!!

OrangeSVTguy

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2007
Northeastern Ohio
Sounds like the front casing might be jamming that door. Take something flat and try to bend out the casing at the bottom of the optical drive bay door. I've seen that part get bent in just so slightly where it will affect the smooth operation of the door sliding up and down when you eject the optical drive tray.

Using some like a butter knife with tape around it works.

It's spring loaded. Which if my memory serves me right, it's near the side with the removable side door panel. Test to see if you can manually slide the door up and down with your finger, do you feel any resistance?

NoNameBrand

macrumors 6502
Nov 17, 2005
Halifax, Canada
Did you put a new CD drive in it? there's a plastic bit that needs to be removed from the drive for it to work properly. It's the very front piece that's typically embossed with DVD-ROM or CD-ROM (or whatever) logos.

The G5's optical door is operated mechanically - the extending tray hits a plastic plate that's mounted at a 45 degree angle, and attached with hinges to the computer frame at the bottom and the door at the other, so it displaces downwards when hit by the tray.

Meapplegeek

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 9, 2009
I did not replace the cd-rom, this is how it came. I am able to move the door up and down with my fingers but i don't feel any resistance. Maybe the spring has come loose during shipment. Thanks for the good ideas! I wasn't sure if it was powered or mechanical. Thanks

California

macrumors 68040
Aug 21, 2004
I have that exact dvd burner from that machine if you need it. Why would you be using a CD ROM in this day and age? Or did you mean a dvd burner.

Don't know much but I think OrangeSVTguy helped me back in the day figure out you do have to take off the plastic piece to get the Powermac's door to open. Maybe someone stuck a cd only drive in yours before selling it to you without taking off the front piece?

Let me know if you need the Apple dvd/cd burner, I replaced my original dvd burner from my Powermac and the oem one works fine. I wish the new one had the same sticker thing on the side as the oem burner.

Meapplegeek

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 9, 2009
It's a cd/ dvd drive. Burns CD's and only reads DVD's.

HL-DT-ST RW/DVD GCC-4481B:

Firmware Revision: 2.05
Interconnect: ATAPI
Burn Support: Yes (Apple Shipping Drive)
Cache: 2048 KB
Reads DVD: Yes
CD-Write: -R, -RW
Write Strategies: CD-TAO, CD-SAO, CD-Raw
Media: Insert media and refresh to show avail

The front plastic piece of the drive was removed... When I hit the eject key you can hear the tray hit the door but the door won't go down to let the cd tray come out.

OrangeSVTguy

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2007
Northeastern Ohio
*** I wish the new one had the same sticker thing on the side as the oem burner.

Those are removable. That's what I did when I upgraded to a Pioneer. I peeled off the old "sticker" and placed it on the newer drive.

Try taking the drive out by opening the 2 levers and then pull the drive out. Check to make sure the bezel is removed from your "combo" drive. Also check in around the area. Check the drive to make sure it has the 4 pins on the bottom. Sometimes if the drive isn't install properly and those 4 pins don't slide in the correct way, the drive won't be correctly lined up and could cause some of the problems that you are having.

Also another idea is that that drive doesn't line up correctly with the opening and that could be causing your problem all together. Just upgrade to a Pioneer DVR-112 or something. You can buy those for $20-30. I had a DVR-108 and installed perfectly in my G5. No clearance issues.

California

macrumors 68040
Aug 21, 2004
Agree with above... check to make sure you have the black Powermac optical drive screws, too. You can fake it with other screws but the drive needs to sit properly.. I do have the same as pictured dvd burner for sale for 9 bucks.

The side logo with the white border is not a sticker, is it, Orange SVTguy as in this photo? Or is it?

Attachments

• d527_1.JPG
    d527_1.JPG
    20.3 KB · Views: 75
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.