Price Advice Powermac G5 How much will I get in parts for it?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by gibbo132, Jul 17, 2012.

1. gibbo132 macrumors regular

Hi,

I need a Powermac G5 case however I am having a hard time finding a case for spares or repair that is in good condition for a reasonable price!

I have found a working G5 1.6ghz or 1.8ghz in good condition for £90.
    £90 is more than I want to spend on the case, but if I could resell some of the parts I could look to make some of that money back?

Any advice would really be appreciated!

Thanks,
    Chris

2. Cox Orange macrumors 68000

Go to Ebay, use a serach term and choose "computers" (or whatever the category is called), then click search.
    Now scroll down an look to the left. Click on ended auctions. (even, if you do not see a running auction before. Maybe no such auction is running at the moment, but was running in the last 30days).
    Then sort by "lowest to highest". Green prices were sold items and red werde not sold.

You might want to uncheck "buy-it-now-auctions" and check "auctions only" to get a better impression of the prices, because buy it now prices are often insane and don't come near to what a private seller would achieve when doing an auction. Doing buy-it-now has the downside that it costs more fees and you are not sure if it will be sold and wil only be left with the fees.

3. Goftrey macrumors 68000

Goftrey

RAM will sell for a decent price if they're 1gb sticks or if you maybe have 4 512mb. 128s & 256s don't sell for a penny. Hard drives will get you a few bob back, it'll probably come with a stock 80gb and if you list Apple in the desc. somewhere someone's bound to pick it up. The CPU(s) won't sell, they're nearly impossible to even give away. The card (if it's a 1.6 or 1.8 uni) will probably be an FX5200 - won't make much money but they are selling. You could try and sell each fan assembly and they may sell for a few quid - and the superdirve will sell but won't make much. I'm not sure on how much a logicboard would go for, Probably not much again.

Overall none of the parts (apart from the RAM - I sold 2gb PC2700 DDR 2x1gb for £30 ($50) when the G5 only cost £35 ($60) shipped) will make much money but added all up you'll probably make up to half of the money back - given time.

4. gibbo132 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for that! £90 is touch then if I have any hope of getting some money back!
    I will keep looking!

5. Zeke D macrumors 6502a

Zeke D

personally, I could use a replacement logic board and CPUs. but like others have said, its hard to sell parts.

6. VanneDC macrumors 6502a

VanneDC

keep looking for a dead onem dont chomp up a bloody good working one.

there are plenty of dead ones around..

7. gibbo132 thread starter macrumors regular

Yup my week long search ended tonight! Almost mint condition with a dead mobo. Got it for £21! So glad I waited :D

8. Zeke D macrumors 6502a

Zeke D

9. StonewallJUS macrumors newbie

Chris, I have a G5 that has a very nice case, a 500 Gig hard drive, and 2 Gb of ram in 4 - 512 sticks. I believe that all that is wrong with it is possibly a bad graphics card. I have the keyboard and mouse that goes with it and some little white box with a power chord going into it. This unit came from my work place and I know nothing about it. I borrowed a screen from my son-in-law to see if when it booted up something would show on the screen but no cigar. The green light on the keyboard does come on and it sounds like it boots up but that is only a guess. I don't know what it would cost to ship it across the water to you but its only taking up space under my desk so make me an offer. If you like I can send you pictures. My email is ken underscore jackson at tsco dot org. Let me know if you want it? Kenny J

----------

Chris, Oh, i pulled the side cover off and under the hood it says on a small sticker. 2.5 ghz DP/PCI-x, 1 GB 400/160GB/SD/R9600T . However I have built some PCs in the past so I know some of that info is wrong due to correlations. I took it apart and it has two sticks of 512 ram in the two banks for RAM. 2 on each bank. Also I know that the 160 GB isn't accurate because the HD says 500 Gig on it. This may make a pretty nice machine out of what you have for if you have 4 Gig of ram you can bump it up to 8 and the hard drive is a pretty good increase whatever you have.

----------

The drive is Seagate Barracuda 7200 RPM, 500 Gig.

10. Nufc_joe macrumors member

I likewise have an iMac G5 17" 1.8Ghz with 2GB RAM and 80GB HDD running 10.5 - This is fully functioning. How much do you think I should be looking at selling this for?

Thanks