PowerMac G5 - I think? Lost

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by ocoiwbh, Mar 16, 2013.

1. ocoiwbh, Mar 16, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2013

ocoiwbh macrumors newbie

So I have inherited a G5, but beyond that I am lost. I do not know what speed of processor is in it, or even how much RAM it has in it yet. How can I find out? Does apple have a serial number look up that would tell me the original build?

My question is though, what are the options in 2013 for an OS for the thing? I doubt if I could just call up Apple and get an old Leopard disc. I have the original disc from my 2008 MBP but I believe someone told me that wouldn't work because it doesn't have drivers fro the G5 or something?

I looked into Linux, quickly found a lot of outdated information and frustrating broken links. The Linux forums suggested Debian, which I attempted to get, but the Jigdo link for Mac OS was broken and they want $42 just for the pre-made CD/DVD's.

Any one have any ideas? I want to use this for a file server for my house. The most intensive thing it would be serving would be videos. Is there still a way to buy an OS install disc from Apple?

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

P.s. - It is the silver aluminum tower, I actually received two, but one won't even turn on, doesn't even chime at the start.

2. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Get the app MacTracker which can help you identify which model it is.

You can still get OS X, 10.5 for it. I don't believe Apple sells Leopard anymore, but you can find it on Amazon and on eBay and probably other sites as well.

3. ocoiwbh thread starter macrumors newbie

Is that safe / legal though? Like could someone modify the DVD in some manner with Malware?

4. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Yes it's safe. You shouldn't have to worry about that stuff. Here is a legitimate copy from Amazon. That price is about the going rate too.

5. ocoiwbh thread starter macrumors newbie

Just did a quick search, they are wanting almost $200 for those things?! I mind as well just go buy a new Mac Mini for that price and be done with it.

Any cheaper solutions? Like free lol (Thus why I thought about Linux)

6. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

If you want a free OS, then Linux is the route you need to take.

7. ocoiwbh thread starter macrumors newbie

That's what I figured. I guess I could download the images with Jigdo on a Windows machine then use that to install.

Thanks for your help!

8. Imixmuan macrumors 6502

PPC Linux

Is not as user friendly as x86 Linux, definitely not as user friendly as Mac OS X.

Your options are:

Plain vanilla Debian
    Ubuntu
    MintPPC
    Lubuntu
    Xubuntu

There are some more PPC variants like Fedora and OpenSuse, but those are kinda taylored towards the newer IBM POWER systems, and I have no personal experience with them.

Before you start, you need to know there is no Adobe Flash for PPC linux, never has been, never will be. This may be a deal breaker for you. There are numerous workarounds to this though. You also have a 64 bit system, so you need to keep that in mind when downloading ISO's.

12.04 'buntus are the LTS releases, meaning they will be supported for five years, or April of 2017. Your system is fast enough (probably) to run Ubuntu proper, Lubuntu and Xubuntu are lighter in weight and will run faster. MintPPC definitely has been installed on G5s and is a good performer, but you may have to configure your x.org config file to match your monitor and graphics card config.

http://www.mintppc.org

MintPPC is Debian, with a Mint LXDE desktop on it. Very helpful developer and forum. Read all the posts related to your particular machine before you dive in the pool.

http://www.powerpcliberation.blogspot.com

zen has just posted links to the downloads for all the recent Lubuntu's. Remember, 12.10 and 13.04 are not LTS releases and a tad buggy right now. If things working and stability are important, go with 12.04.

http://www.ppcluddite.blogspot.com

Step by step Debian with Openbox installation guide on the right hand side of the page.

Good luck.

9. ocoiwbh thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for all the info! Unfortunately I didn't see your post until just now and I spent most of yesterday and yesterday night into the wee hours of this morning getting Debian 6 up and running on the G5. Getting SSH up and running was a whole nother game too!

Anyway. I don't think flash will be a problem, because the files will be opened / used on the iPad or Laptop, am I correct in thinking that? (Nothing will be viewed on the server?)

I am confused however, which package I should proceed with from here...I found either a file server using Samba, or a Web Server package using Apache in aptitude. I think all I need is the File server, however due to restrictions on the software I am going to be using to organize / access these files from the iPad / laptop, I need to be able to get to them using HTTP. Essentially, I am thinking a local file path through the web browser, then the browser on the device will decide how to open the file. Does that make sense? Will that work? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!