PowerMac G5 Insomnia

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by A.Goldberg, Feb 24, 2015.

1. A.Goldberg, Feb 24, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2015

A.Goldberg macrumors 68000

A.Goldberg

Hi Everyone,

So I've noticed now that I have my G5 up and running that it appears to be suffering from what I would classify as 'idiopathic chronic onset insomnia'- That is an ongoing difficulty falling asleep with out unknown origin. And once asleep, the G5 has no problem staying asleep. I have tried a couple fixes and since then only on couple occasions I have found it sound asleep.

1) Checked to make sure software is up to date - yes, it is
    2) Verified and repaired permissions
    3) Successfully reset PMU or whatever they call it on the G5
    4) Checked startup items - only thing is our iTunes Helper friend

Any other suggestions? I do have file and printer sharing turned on. Do you think that might cause interference?

I am a PharmD (pharmacist) so I've considered perhaps some Ambien or trazadone but I don't know the proper route of administration. Perhaps playing some meditation videos in Quicktime might help?

2. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Do you have any third party PCI USB cards installed?

I've found those to be a main source of this. Some boards don't allow sleep. That seems to be the case with my Sonnet in my G4. Unfortunately for me, I can force my Mac to sleep but then I just get a coma from which the patient never wakes except with a forced restart.

3. A.Goldberg thread starter macrumors 68000

A.Goldberg

4. Orizence macrumors 6502

Do you by any chance have a flashed video card? Ive read that some cards once they are flashed don't allow the machine to come out of sleep

5. MatthewLTL macrumors 68000

MatthewLTL

I actually have experienced this. While my USB 2 card has a NEC chip I installed a USB 1.1 card at one point just cuz i had it and it was NOT a NEC chip when the MDD tried to sleep the USB 1.1 card woke it right back up.

6. poiihy macrumors 68020

poiihy

Check the sharing settings and make sure Internet Sharing is not on. If it is on the machine won't go to sleep. I had the same problem with my MBP.

Also you didnt say anything about the Energy Saver settings so make sure it is set to sleep in the Energy Saver settings :p

7. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

The three things I look at when dealing with a Mac that is not sleeping is PCI cards, video cards, and USB devices. I have had a Mac style USB keyboard that would randomly wake the G5 and cause it to KP. Replacing the keyboard fixed the issue. Can you post what video card and USB devices are with this Mac?

8. A.Goldberg, Feb 25, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2015

A.Goldberg thread starter macrumors 68000

A.Goldberg

Internet Sharing is Off
    No PCI cards installed
    Video Card is the standard GeForce FX 5200 Ultra

And yes, Energy Settings are set to induce sleep.

USB Devices
    Current Style Apple USB keyboard- aluminum with white chicklet keys
    USB Apple Mighty Mouse (I noticed they don't use this name anymore)
    23" Apple Cinema HD display
    HP LaserJet 1012 printer

It is connected to the internet via Ethernet and lacks AP and BT.

9. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

My troublesome DP original G5 has a similar issue, it will refuse to go to sleep and an image will remain on the screen. My thoughts turn to the GPU as well, which is the stock Radeon 9600.

10. A.Goldberg thread starter macrumors 68000

A.Goldberg

It has no problem turning off the screen and it will sleep if I manually tell it to do so, it's just the automatic function.

11. ctmpkmlec4 macrumors 6502

ctmpkmlec4

Is it the Acrylic Display with the ADC plug? If so, what happens if you hook the Mac to a different display using the DVI port?
    Maybe read through this discussion.

12. A.Goldberg thread starter macrumors 68000

A.Goldberg

I currently have the newer aluminum version plugged in.

I have an older 20" ADC in storage. I'll switch them out and see what happens.

13. A.Goldberg thread starter macrumors 68000

A.Goldberg

It looks like I've had some success...

I deleted /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.PowerManagement.plist
    /Users/username/Library/Preferences/com.apple.systemuiserver.plist

She's now sound asleep (still using the Cinema HD display)

14. 128keaton macrumors 68020

128keaton

Wow, glad it was something software related, rather than hardware. Enjoy your sleeping beauty.

15. MatthewLTL macrumors 68000

MatthewLTL

I can't put my eMac to sleep cuz when i do it pinwheels and locks up. Any suggestions for that?

16. A.Goldberg thread starter macrumors 68000

A.Goldberg

Does this happen when you manually put it to sleep, when it is automatically set to sleep, or both? What OS are you running?

1. Try Restoring Permissions in the Disk Utility
    2. Try Resetting the PMU - I believe in the EMAC the button is underneath in the compartment that houses the RAM
    3. Consider all possible settings or programs that could interfere with sleep mode- waking for faxes or network access, etc
    4. If you have 10.5.8 I suppose you could attempt deleting the following files (if they exist) followed by a restart, as they should regenerate:
    -/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.PowerManagement.plist
    -/Users/username/Library/Preferences/com.apple.systemuiserver.plis
    -/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.AutoWake.plist
    5. Reinstall the OS, somehow I sense this is your best bet, but the other 4 steps are easy enough to try

6. Try Quetiapine Fumarate

17. MatthewLTL macrumors 68000

MatthewLTL

does it with both ever since i put a 7200PRM 80GB TiVo HDD in it

18. A.Goldberg thread starter macrumors 68000

A.Goldberg

If nothing above that I posted works I would wipe the drive entirely and reformat it. Then reinstall the OS. See where that takes you.

If I remember correctly...
    1) Back up everything
    2) Put in OS install disc and restart
    3) Start computer and hold down C
    4) The computer will boot off of the disc. I think you then have to go to the menu bar at the top and somewhere up there you open Disc Utility
    5) Erase the drive and reformat it to Mac OS Extended Journaled
    6) Reinstall OS

Hopefully that will solve your problem. How did you originally load OS X onto the hard drive? A clean install or a clone?

19. MatthewLTL, Feb 26, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2015

MatthewLTL macrumors 68000

MatthewLTL

Being that it was a TiVo HDD wiping and formatting it was a nacessity to even install OS X

EDIT: I did what yor suggested my removing plist files now it just sits at the apple logo with the spinner

20. A.Goldberg thread starter macrumors 68000

A.Goldberg

Yes but you could have formatted the drive and installed the new OS, or formatted the drive a copied a clone of the previous hard drive. I assume this problem existed since the first time it attempted to sleep after installing the new hard drive? If you used a clone and the clone was corrupt that could be the cause.

The plist files are supposed to regenerate upon restarting the computer. It sounds like at the minimum you have some seriously corrupted software. Perhaps try reposting your issue in the PPC to draw some more attention. Maybe some other members could chime in about possible hardware related issues or if they have any other thoughts.

21. Patth9 macrumors regular

Patth9

Didn't check the option in preferences.

My G4 MDD would go to sleep at the allotted set time, but to wake it up I'd have to pull the plug and restart. Then I started turning off the feature in the preferences (light bulb) and set it so in 15 minutes it would go to sleep, but did not allow the hard drive to be put to sleep. Now there is no problem.

Patt