PowerMac g5 is not detecting hardware

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by sssylaru, Apr 27, 2015.

1. sssylaru macrumors newbie

Hello! I've bought an Powermac G5 from this auction : http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/201136982439 and recently i've installed again Mac os 10.6.8 (newest version i can install on this computer). I don't know why, now when i click on :About this Mac; i get information, that i have 2x 2.66GHz Quad Core Intel Xeon and only 6gb 667mhz ddr2 ram, but when i click :More Info:. system shows Total number of Cores ; 8, and Memory 6 GB, which is showing me not enough...
    As far as i checked online, i have also x64 processor, so i should be able to run yosemite, but appstore showes me all the time, that my computer cannot be upgraded to this system, so i've stucked on 10.6.8 and totally have no idea, what to do...

Can somebody advice me, what should i do?

Thanks for all replies

2. Gamer9430 macrumors 68020

Gamer9430

Hello, sorry but you bought a Mac Pro, not a G5. This belongs in a different forum. As far as your issue goes, I'm not sure why it won't support Yosemite, because a friend of mine has one and it will run Yosemite. I would also ask on the Apple Support forums to see if they can assist you as well. Good luck!

3. sssylaru thread starter macrumors newbie

4. Gamer9430 macrumors 68020

Gamer9430

PowerMac g5 is not detecting hardware

No problem. MR really should add an older Intel Mac section for people with CD, C2D, or the first macs with i5/i7s and the first few generations of Intel macs. Something like this forum...

5. weckart macrumors 68040

It will only run Yosemite with some jiggery-pokery. There is a thread or two about getting older Intel hardware to run post-Lion OSX.

6. Anonymous Freak macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak

That is a first-generation Mac Pro. Out-of-the-box, it does not support any OS newer than Lion (OS X 10.7.)

There are various threads around for how to get newer OSes installed on it.

As for the memory, either the seller misrepresented how much RAM was in it, some of the RAM is bad, or it got mis-seated during shipping.

Try removing the memory modules and re-inserting them. Or trying them one at a time, possibly in different memory slots.

7. SuperKerem macrumors 6502a

SuperKerem

8. Ih8reno, Apr 27, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2015

Ih8reno macrumors 65816

Ih8reno

9. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

If that machine was shipped to you then verify that all the RAM and the RAM cards are seated properly. Shipping does some funny things to computers! Apple officially discontinued support after Lion on these due to the lack of 64 bit EFI. That being said, the Mac Pro of that generation does have a 64 bit CPU and there are guides and hacks to get around the 32 bit EFI limitation.