PowerMac G5 Keyboard Help

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by KeegM480, Nov 15, 2013.

1. KeegM480 macrumors 6502a

KeegM480

So since searching is disabled I will just have to make a new thread.
    Just got the new wired keyboard for my PMG5 since I am used to the Bluetooth one I just couldn't type on the white one.

On the function keys, they don't work right, anybody know what the way is to add my music control shortcuts? Its frustrating not having them work, so all of the Function keys are not lined up with their image, I know this is stupid but its something that drives me crazy.

Thanks in advance!

2. micahgartman macrumors member

micahgartman

Mac OS X: How to change the behavior of function keys

If your Mac's keyboard has icons printed on some of the keys on the top row of the keyboard, those keys can be used to perform the special features shown in each icon, or they can be used as standard function keys (F1 - F12). The action performed by standard function keys will vary depending on the application you are currently using, or depending on the keyboard shortcuts listed in the Keyboard & Mouse pane of System Preferences.

By default, pressing one of these keys will perform the special feature indicated by the icon printed on the key. For example, pressing the keys with speaker icons will adjust the volume or mute the system volume. If you would like to use one of these keys as a standard function key on a portable Mac, you can hold the Fn key while pressing the function key. For example, if you press Fn-F10 (with a speaker icon), it will perform the function assigned to the F10 key instead of toggling mute on or off.

If you prefer the top row of keys to behave as standard function keys (instead of performing the special feature indicated by the icon), without needing to hold down the Fn key:

1. Choose System Preferences from the Apple menu.
    2. From the View menu choose Keyboard (or Keyboard & Mouse in Mac OS X v10.5.8 and earlier).
    3. Click Keyboard, if necessary.
    4. Enable "Use all F1, F2, etc. keys as standard function keys."

With this option enabled, the top row of keys will act as standard function keys (F1 - F12) and not perform special functions such as volume control. To use the features shown on the icon printed on one of these keys while this option is enabled, press Fn. For example, if the above option is enabled, press Fn-F10 to toggle mute on or off.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3399

3. KeegM480 thread starter macrumors 6502a

KeegM480

The issue though, for example, if I press the F12 key it should be the volume up, but it brings up the dashboard.

4. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Reverse #4. I.e, make sure Enable Use all F1, F2, etc. keys as standard function key is UNchecked.

5. KeegM480 thread starter macrumors 6502a

KeegM480

they are... same thing with or without that checked..

6. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Is it only that shortcut that is not functioning? Because if it is, you can either shut it off or reassign a different command to it.

7. KeegM480 thread starter macrumors 6502a

KeegM480

nope, none of them do what they are supposed to, most dont do anything a few of them do different things, the brightness is F14 & F15 instead of 1 & 2, F9 shows me my windows, F10 fades the desktop and highlights my window, F11 shows the desktop, F12 is dashboard, eject key works, F1-8 appear to do nothing same with F13 and F16-19... So weird (I tried re setting shortcuts too)

8. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Hmmm…OK. What's the system requirements for the new keyboard?

Is there any hint of a software update for the keyboard or anything?

What about the BT pairing? Is the PM seeing this as the keyboard it actually is?

Newer keyboard, older PowerMac I am guessing.

9. micahgartman macrumors member

micahgartman

Oh—you need to remap the function keys.

Try using Spark: http://www.shadowlab.org/Software/spark.php

10. KeegM480 thread starter macrumors 6502a

KeegM480

11. RedCroissant Suspended

If you're talking about the new wired 10-key aluminum keyboard, then the reason it's not functioning properly is because it is not fully compatible with your PPC Mac. You have to look for the identical keyboard that was released in 2009 or earlier via eBay or Amazon because those are fully compatible and all the FN keys function properly.

The guys at PowerPC Archive did a test and found the same issue.

They didn't test the earlier version of the keyboard (or at least haven't posted the results) but it does work. Just look on CL for PPC macs being sold and many of them will have the older wired keyboard that is compatible.

12. KeegM480, Nov 25, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2013

KeegM480 thread starter macrumors 6502a

KeegM480

Yes I am, got it at the Apple Store just a couple weeks ago. Thank you! Didn't realize that... Ill see if I can sell mine and buy one on Amazon!

EDIT:
    I got spark to work! SO its functioning perfectly now for what I needed

13. RedCroissant Suspended

Ok, and cool! I'm glad that you got it working now.

Yeah, when I get a chance, I'm going to get a new one and then take the one that I got back in 2009 back from my wife. I made sure to test it on my iMac G5 before even responding to your post.

14. KeegM480 thread starter macrumors 6502a

KeegM480

Apple is so funny, purposefully killing off PowerPC's, like they think I'm going to get rid of my PMG5!

15. RedCroissant Suspended

Although I agree with you in saying that they're purposefully killing off PPCs, I wouldn't say it's malicious (which is the way most people interpret it). And I wouldn't have gotten rid of my PM G5 quad if I didn't have to at the time.

I'll probably never have one again and when I get the chance to, I think I'll go for a Mac Pro instead. Not too sure about that yet though.

16. KeegM480 thread starter macrumors 6502a

KeegM480

If I had the money I would go with a Mac Pro as well, but $150 vs $1,500 for a machine that isn't portable is hard to justify for me right now. Especially when I have a MacBook Pro