PowerMac G5 Liquid-Cooled Disassembly

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Celos, Oct 19, 2008.

1. Celos macrumors newbie

My 2.5 GHz dual G5 had a single processor die. It's fairly stable until it warms up, at which point it crashes hard. I suspect that if I can get into the processor module and disconnect the power from the flaky processor that the machine will run fine (albeit slow).

I'd like to do this so I can limp along until the updated iMacs come out, at which time I'll replace it.

I can't find any disassembly instructions on the web for the liquid-cooled G5s. There was a thread on MacAch ( here) but the linked site is dead. The popular Sharpening Beneath disassembly isn't for liquid-cooled machines.

For the life of me I can't figure out how to do it short of completely disassembling the case and removing the motherboard. That may be the only way to do it, in which case I'll probably change my mind on doing this. I'm hoping someone here has access to the actual tech instructions.

Any help is appreciated, and PM me if that's easier.

2. MacUser2525 macrumors 68000

MacUser2525

You can try the link below I never downloaded the G5 manual but the one I got for my G4 FW800 had everything possible you could do to it in there. One thing though There is not likely to be a method of disconnecting the power to a processor you will probably have to remove it if it is necessary. You may just to need to reapply the thermal paste from the sounds of it you have never done this before, with my G4 doing that got me ~5C lower temperatures from it.

http://home.earthlink.net/~strahm_s/manuals.html#imcs

3. scottlinux macrumors 6502a

scottlinux

You are looking for the apple service manuals. They exist in pdf form around the internets. For employee technicians only, they have instructions on how to completely disassemble and reassemble every Mac.

4. IroquoisPliskin macrumors regular

Liquid cooled G5s share the same heatsink/radiator for both CPUs.