Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
B

bobthebob01

Original poster
Hello every one

first i want to make something clear: i am not on any illegal substance (at least not when i hear that weird sound :) ).

I hear from time to time a bipping sound coming from the powermac G5. it's a dual 2Ghz processor with 2Gb of Ram. It's been a few month now that from time to time i hear a "bip" sound coming out of the mac. It's at 1 or 2 second interval and it's not loud at all, you have to turn off all music around it to hear it. it almost sounds like a bomb type of sound (like in the movie).

At first i thought i was really crazy, even my wife told me stop working so late, but she also heard it.

it's really worrying me. I ran all possible test: OS and hardware and every thing comes out "A OK". The Mac does even act very well, nothing to complain about. So in a way it's more frustrating.

Did anybody had the same problem by any chance?
I did not find anything about this on the apple website.

I was thinking of the battery that we see on the mother board. it might a signal to say that it's almost done. I have seen some weird thing in the past for pc motherboard. Even though i love Mac and i am a MacAddict, i would not be surprise that something like that exist.

So if anybody has a solution, it would be greatly appreciated.
cheers

julien

product26

Cancelled
May 30, 2005
Our (0riginal) dual 2ghz G5 tower (server) at work makes all sorts of noises. It always has and I don't think anything of it.

B

bobthebob01

Original poster
Thanks for your reply

thanks for your reply product26.

i hope your right. It's just weird to hear such noise. and actually a bit anoying from time to time.
it feels like there is a count down to something. just hope it's not a countdown to the end of its life......:eek:

i'll keep on looking around for some else having the same issue.

cheers

julien

synth3tik

macrumors 68040
Oct 11, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
My Pioneer super drive like to beep, but if its more of a bip or a blip. I might check inside. Make sure that the cooling system is not leaking. Around a month ago someone posted a tread with pictures of their G5 after noticing a leak. Most likely you would see corrosion that looks like cauliflower :eek:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.