PowerMac G5 Network Problems

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by coolwine, Mar 6, 2011.

1. coolwine macrumors newbie

Hello, I am new to powermac G5's I just picked up a 2.3ghz dual for $140 and I am excited to have use it as a server. I have had intel macs for awhlie now but i am running across an issue. The computer works great and is surprisingly peppy but it will not recognize any networks using airport. It recognizes that it has an airport card but it will not pick up anyone of the 10 nearby networks that my macbook pro picks up. Do I need a new airport card or do I have to configure something differently? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks! :)

2. BrianBaughn macrumors 601

BrianBaughn

Could be the card. Post your OS version, router type, wireless security type, and anything else you think may be helpful.

For a server, ethernet would be most effective way to connect.

If the card does turn out to be bad and you must use wireless, you should look for a wireless-N device. Possibly a wireless ethernet bridge.

3. coolwine thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the help, I feel like a complete NEWB :rolleyes:but i found the problem while plugging in a peripheral. The seller didn't include the external antenna for the airport card...But I tracked one down on eBay for$6!
    Thanks again!