PowerMac G5 not detecting 2 ram slots

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by gavinstubbs09, Sep 21, 2013.

1. gavinstubbs09 macrumors 65816

gavinstubbs09

Hi!

I just went to put some more memory inside my Early 2005 dual 2GHz G5. I currently have 2x 1GB Patriot ram sticks that are PC3200 running at 400MHz. I had put in a 512MB stick of Buffalo PC3200 400MHz Ram in the 2 slot, and a stick of Samsung PC3200 400MHz ram in slot 3. I tried with other sticks that I had around and not one has worked!

Any ideas?

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Make sure you put the ram in so that it is matched. Start from the inside most slots and fill outwards.

3. zackkmac macrumors 6502a

I have the same model PowerMac with the same issue. Except 6 of my RAM slots do this. It is an issue with the soldering on the motherboard where the RAM slots are. I have taken a hairdryer to mine for a few a minutes at a time (up to 10) and at one point I got it to recognize 7GB out of the 8GB installed, but the issue returned shortly thereafter.

The board needs to be reflowed, and some people stick theirs in the oven but I don't recommend doing that unless you know precisely what you are doing.

Hope this helps!

4. gavinstubbs09 thread starter macrumors 65816

gavinstubbs09

Thanks! I've reflowed a iSight iMac to only have it fail again 3 months later :(

I really don't want to tear it down but if I happen to for some reason that makes it unusable I will! I wanted to have some more ram but whatever.

Thanks again for the info!

5. rabidz7 macrumors 65816

rabidz7