Powermac G5 or Intel iMac

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Quad 68030, Jun 2, 2007.

1. Quad 68030 macrumors newbie

Hello everyone.

I will be buying a new MacBook Pro sometime in early 2008. I currently use an iMac G3 from the "Dark Ages" (Bondi). I don't know how I've put up with the G3 for as long as I have. So I really need a desktop Mac for home use and to tide me over until I can purchase the MBP. I've been back and forth between a new Intel iMac or a used/refurb Dual G5 Powermac. I'd be using the computer for video/photo editing, Word/Excel, games (WoW), programming in Xcode.

I'm looking at the 2GHz Dual G5 in the $1000 to $1500 range. If I get a G5, I was thinking about running it to my HDTV as the display. Can you even do this with the iMac? Or maybe a 3rd party solution? I like the Powermac for its expandability. Not much can be added internally to the iMac (or MacBook Pro for that matter). But the iMac has the current Intel platform.

All my software is for PPC obviously. Although, I don't have a problem upgrading to the newer Universal apps. I might keep the computer (which ever one I buy) as an alternate home system after I buy the MBP next year. Would it be a good idea to have a PPC desktop and an Intel laptop? If I did decide to sell next year to help pay for the MBP, which would give me a better resell value on eBay?

I'm probably thinking about this too hard. Can anyone make it a more simple decision? Thanks.

2. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

The iMac is going to be way faster. And you could dual-screen with the iMac too.

3. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

It depends on what you are using the machine for as to which is more appropriate. I actually think the Power Mac might be a better choice because it'll have a better resale value and it's upgradeable (as you say). For some apps, it'll be faster too. :)

4. KYBOSH macrumors member

Everyone wants the latest and greatest. So I would say the Intel based unit would get you a prettier penny.

I would start phasing out the older unit first. You can still get a lot of $$$ for them now because there isn't much difference between them yet. I have a 20" G5 imac that I love but will sell it in a few weeks to get a 24" Core Duo. Just because if I wait too long to sell it I wont get as much $$$ as I would like because the newer models would have doubled in specs by then.

Good Luck

5. eji macrumors 6502

eji

I'd say go with the Intel iMac. I've got a 20" 2GHz G5 iMac, which is plenty fast for most of my needs, but I use the 20" Intel C2D iMacs at work and they've made me start thinking about ditching my perfectly good G5 for one of them. I've been looking at the 24" and waiting for the rumors about a refresh to come true (at which point I'll wait until a rev. B). :)

Even if there isn't a refresh, you'll probably be able to buy a current refurb 20" or 24" Intel iMac for less than or equal to what you'd pay for a refurb G5 PowerMac.