PowerMac G5 PCIe video card

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Lord Zedd, Jul 7, 2008.

1. Lord Zedd macrumors 6502a

Lord Zedd

I need a sub-$100 video card for a second display. I don't want to put two displays on one card because it will take away memory from the main display.

Where could I find a cheap stock 6600LE or other card for cheap?

2. Firefly2002 macrumors 65816

The only time memory would ever be a factor would be when you're playing a game that needs more VRAM than you have, or you're using some other program that eats tons of VRAM. Normal things won't make a whit of difference. In those that do, you can simply disonnect/turn off the other display.

It seems silly to get a second card for a second display when you do not need one.

3. ReanimationLP macrumors 68030

ReanimationLP

4. Lord Zedd thread starter macrumors 6502a

Lord Zedd

Exactly why I want a 2nd card.

I'd rather have a second card than restart my computer every time I need more video memory.

None of those will work for the G5. If we could use normal PC cards then the X1900 G5 edition wouldn't be necessary to get a powerful card.

5. zmttoxics macrumors 65816

zmttoxics

Sub 300 bucks you are screwed. Your best bet is to ebay for a 1900 pc edition or a 7800gt and flash them.

6. disconap macrumors 68000

disconap

My advice--buy a better main card, run both monitors off it, and sell the current card on ebay. Should keep you close to your desired price when all is said and done.

Really, though--I have a first gen G5 and run two monitors, both hi-res art monitors, on a Radeon 9600pro with only 64mb RAM (so 32mb per monitor). I have had zero problems ever, far less than the fx5200 with double the RAM in my G4 (yes, I know, much lower quality card, but still). Granted, I don't game, but I do do video editing, intensive graphics work, and often watch movies on the spare monitor when I don't need it (while working on the main one). RAM isn't everything, and if your graphics card is processing everything it needs to, you don't need tons of RAM. So you're probably going to be all right with what you've got, I'd say test it out first and see if you're not happy with it.