PowerMac G5 Quad 2.5Ghz (late 2005) won't turn on...

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by MrJonnyJones, Dec 5, 2011.

1. MrJonnyJones macrumors newbie

Hi guys, apologies if this has already been covered!

I've recently had my power supply repaired on my PowerMac G5 Quad and I have now fully re-built the computer! It really was a mission as the power supply is right at the bottom of the tower so EVERYTHING had to come out.

Anyway, its all back together with a freshly repaired PSU. When you put power to the PSU you get the 'clonk' to tell you all is well, but when pressing the power button absolutely nothing happens!

In all honesty, I'm concerned I may have disturbed the contacts beneath the power button/USB/Firewire/Audio cluster on the front of the machine, as it had to be removed to get the logic board out. It clicks into place on the inside of the tower and then there are two small screws that hold it onto the logic board. The contacts looked slightly 'off' but not to an extreme so I gathered it would have worked. I've also replaced the 3v battery.

There is power coming to the logic board as the LED lit up when I didn't have the air deflector installed.

If anybody has some ideas as to what could be wrong, that would be great!

2. maccom macrumors newbie

Power Mac G5

How can I determine which one is Processor A or B on a power Mac G5
    when the computer is standing upright. I am getting this error after installing a logic board. I did the thermo calibration with an apple test disc.

Ammeter test CPU A

Testing Ammeter sensor CPU A AD7417 AD2
    Error Ammeter reads above alarm setting 3
    Testing Ammeter sensor CPU A AD7417 AD2
    Error Ammeter reads above alarm setting 3
    and I need to replace the CPU

Please help