PowerMac G5 Quad and ATI graphics?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by alex.marton, Oct 18, 2015.

1. alex.marton macrumors 6502

alex.marton

Hi All,

I have a PowerMac G5 DP2.5GHz. The video card in it is the ATI Radeon 9600XT (128mb). I would like to buy a Quad 2.5GHz G5. Since I have a 20" ADC display, I would like to keep the graphics card. Is it compatible with the 9600XT?

Thanks, Alex

2. chrfr macrumors 603

The dual uses an AGP slot for its graphics card while the quad uses PCIe. There's no way to use your existing graphics card in a quad.

3. alex.marton thread starter macrumors 6502

alex.marton

Aw well that's a shame! But thanks anyways! :)

4. bunnspecial macrumors 603

bunnspecial

If you want to keep using your acrylic display, you need an A1006 DVI-ADC converter. These use to be around $50, but have come down in price more recently(I've been able to snag a few when buying otherwise reasonably priced monitors, and paid $30 for another).

Also, assuming your Quad comes with the stock 6600 or 6600LE, you'd be well served by buying a better graphics card. The original "upgrades" were the 7800GT and the Quadro FX4500. The Quadro is the best performing, but is expensive and also dual height(if you care about putting in other expansion cards). The 7800GT is a good compromise and tends to not be very expensive. I recently picked up a retail Radeon X1900GT, which is a great card and was cheap, but these are hard to find(the Mac Pro version is a lot more common but won't work).