Powermac G5 Quad BackSide Temperature

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Nameci, May 23, 2012.

1. Nameci macrumors 68000

Nameci

I recently got a Powermac G5 quad. I have moved my gfx card, RAM and SSD from my dual core 2.3 PM G5. The dual core will going to be my spare.

I have observed that the CPU fans on the quad turns much faster than on a dual core.

My question is that my backside temperature is hovering around 121F and the backside fans were at 1600rpm. Is it normal?

If it is not normal, where is the heat coming from?

And the noise level is much higher than my dual core.

2. tayloralmond macrumors 6502

I've never had a Dual Core, but here's a picture from iStatPro from my Quad. (I never ended up selling it after I bought my MacPro)

Attached Files:

3. Nameci thread starter macrumors 68000

Nameci

So I guess pretty much I would consider my backside temp as normal. It is now idling at 1438rpm for the backside fan and 119F for the backside temperature.

4. tayloralmond macrumors 6502

Yeah, the Quads run pretty hot. You'll know if it's overheating because the fans will kick up over 3000RPM and sound like a wind-storm. FYI: Here's a temperature comparison to my Mac Pro.

Attached Files:

5. thorns macrumors member

The backside fan/temperature reading is coming from the radial fan next to the hdd cage. it sucks heat from the memory controller on the backside of the logicboard.

6. Oderus macrumors newbie