PowerMac G5 Refuses CD/DVD

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Intelligent, Apr 7, 2014.

1. Intelligent macrumors 6502a

Intelligent

Okay so today i tried to start my old PowerMac G5, (the dual processor one, 8 memory slots) But it refuses both 10.4, Mac OS 9 and 10.5 CD's, so i though it might be something wrong with the reader so i used an external but found it also refused it, theres no hard drive in it so it just shows the folder with a question mark and a Mac OS 9 style finder icon, but it should still be able to read a cd, my PowerBook G4 does that atleast. Any idea how i can install an OS on it?. Yes, i know i need a hard drive obviously. I have some at home.

2. gavinstubbs09 macrumors 65816

gavinstubbs09

Do you have a FireWire cable? Target Disk Mode should work

3. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

4. Intelligent thread starter macrumors 6502a

Intelligent

Thanks! i will try, i also forgot to add, the startup sound does not play.
    Edit: Never mind after +alt+p+r it does play! :D

5. Intelligent thread starter macrumors 6502a

Intelligent

How come it only works on some screens? It doesn't work on my main dvi 24inch screen, but it does work on a crappy 17 inch screen (dvi)

6. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

Can you explain in more detail?
    What exactly is not working?
    Your OP was the CD drive refusing all disks.
    Are you saying that CD/DVD disks are reading, but only with one screen and not the other?
    Does it actually eject the disk, or just not read the disk (and no other response from the G5?)

7. Intelligent thread starter macrumors 6502a

Intelligent

Nono thats all solved now, i just posted this here, because i didn't want to make a new thread, It only shows me images on one of the screens, the other is total blackscreen, although it does work with other computers.

8. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

Yes, this should be a new thread, as the issue is completely different.

You have two DVI ports, so disconnect the display that is now working, and connect the non-working one to that same DVI port.
    Is there an adapter in that cable, or is it direct connect (no extra connectors in the cable, like DVI to VGA, etc.)

9. Intelligent thread starter macrumors 6502a

Intelligent

The one that works is a VGA to DVI, and the one that doesn't work is plain DVI to DVI.

10. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

So, the same display does not work, regardless of which port you use on the graphics card?
    Does "Detect Displays" in your Displays pref pane trigger anything on the non-working display? Have you tried a different DVI to VGA cable or adapter with that display?

11. Intelligent thread starter macrumors 6502a

Intelligent

I got it working by using the VGA to DVI on the 24 display, the G5 doesn't like dvi to dvi for some reason.

12. Intelligent thread starter macrumors 6502a

Intelligent

Thanks!

Thanks guys for your help! I have now installed Tiger on a fully functional Power Mac G5, i will make partitions and install Leopard on it too, and Panther for the fun of it, and Classic of course :D