PowerMac G5 SATA Controller Issue + Dead HDD

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by ajwgeek, Jul 4, 2012.

1. ajwgeek macrumors newbie

Hey everyone,
    I have known for a little while now that my PowerMac G5's sata controller was pretty bad. Sometimes it wouldn't boot at all. It would just stay at the ? icon. Anyway, that lasted for a couple years. So, last week I got my first ever kernel panic on the machine. I thought nothing of it, my install of OS X was old. I had lots of 3rd party software. So last night I had a friend over and my brother came down and flipped the breaker on my room to be a total pain in the neck. I tried turning on my G5 and I got the click of death. I am not sure if my broken sata controller is the cause. I know the hard drive itself is dead, I threw it in my PC and it did the same thing. Could the broken sata controller have killed the drive? I never thought to swap out the logic board and now I am a bit fearful. I had all my music and work related stuff on there. I had a backup of my work related stuff but it is actually a couple weeks old so I am missing quite a bit of code. I only back up once a month. I just threw my HDD in the freezer. I took it out after about 5 hours and I am not sure whether to plug it in or not. It is almost 115 degrees outside and condensation stars forming before I can get it in a zip locked bag and plugged in. So, should I even risk plugging in another drive? This is the second drive that has failed in that machine. My only option would be to install OS X on my SSD but I think that might be too expensive to risk trying. Anyone here have any thoughts? I might end up just gutting it and throwing PC parts in it.

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

How do you know from the Windows box that the drive is dead? To most users, a Mac formatted hard drive will appear to be dead.

3. ajwgeek, Jul 4, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2012

ajwgeek thread starter macrumors newbie

Dead HDD

I know it is dead because it clicks when I turn on the Windows box as well. When I booted into Windows 7 on that machine, I downloaded MacDrive 7 and rebooted. Then, I looked for GUID/Mac Ext. Jorunaled Drives and found none. In the PC BIOS it shows up as a 8mb drive when its a 1TB drive. I am still thinking my faulty SATA Controller/Mobo is what killed it