PowerMac G5 Slow

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by SadPotato, Jun 13, 2016.

1. SadPotato macrumors newbie

I have a powermac g5 with 2gb ram, x2 2ghz ppc cpus, Radeon 9600 pro and OSX 10.5.8 and it runs noticeably slower others powerpc computers( from what ive seen on youtube and read on the forums). Youtube is choppy and laggy at 360p using html5, final cut express 4 freezes up when i try to preview my video (720p 60fps), same with final cut pro 5. And browsing the web on tenfourfox or webkit is sluggish on every website (even google.com) Does anyone know if this is just the way the powerpc computers are or is something wrong?

2. Dronecatcher macrumors 68000

Dronecatcher

No, that's not normal for that class of machine. Download an old PowerPC version of Geekbench and run it - depending on your exact model it should score between 1600 and 1800.
    Also, with no programs open, go to Terminal and type "top -u" (don't include the quotes) - this will list the processes the computer is running - you should be using less than 10% - if it more, find what those programs are and decide whether you need them running.
    If all else fails do a fresh install of the OS - sometimes this is the only way to fix an issue - sometimes an install will appear fully functional but still not sit right.
    If there's still problems the hard drive may be failing and/or another hardware issue that might not be economical to trace and fix.

3. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

What's the Processor Performance set to in Energy Saver? Might have been set to reduced to hush the fans...

4. SadPotato thread starter macrumors newbie

On geekbench i got 1564 and CPU usage is about 5% on idle. Is reinstalling the OS really the only route to go? I purchased this mac from an eBay seller and it didn't come with an OS X Leopard Disc so i will have to find one online.
    --- Post Merged, Jun 14, 2016 ---
    it is set to high performance

5. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

That's in the range of a typical result for that machine.

Keep in mind it's a thirteen year old machine, that's well outside active support. Tried @eyoungren's TFF tweaks?

6. SadPotato thread starter macrumors newbie

yes, i have tried his config, but that does not explain the terrible lag inside of applications such as Final Cut Express 4 and Final Cut Pro 5

7. Dronecatcher macrumors 68000

Dronecatcher

http://macintoshgarden.org/apps/mac-osx-mac-os-10-ppc

There's no guarantee a fresh install will work but I speak from experience when I've reinstalled to fix problems I couldn't find.
    At least you can then rule out software problems.
    I don't have your machine but I have a G5 iMac which has far less grunt than your G5 and Youtube video isn't a problem.
    I have a 2.3DP G5 and that zooms along.

8. Daniël Oosterhuis macrumors 6502a

Daniël Oosterhuis

Lots of freeze ups and unexplainable lag could be a bad or simply aged hard drive that's not holding on very well. What kind of HDD is in it now?

9. SadPotato thread starter macrumors newbie

I am confused by this statement, could you help me understand it?
    "Leopard requires a dual layer DVD.
    Unless you can find a DVR-R DL blank you'll probably need to use a +R blank and boot from an external firewire drive that supports DL +R disks.
    At least that has been my experience with older machines."
    I bought it off of a ebay seller but i believe its the one that comes with it since it is the exact same size- 160 GB

10. Dronecatcher macrumors 68000

Dronecatcher

The retail Leopard disk will require a dual layer disk but there are guides on the internet to open the dmg and take out the unnecessary files.
    You might be able to find slimmed version in the normal dubious online places.
    Regarding reading/writing dual layer disks or any disks for that matter, I find you take your chances with old optical drives now - most of my PPCs are fussy about what they will and wont handle.
    You could also check for errors by booting from an Apple Service Disk for your machine - unfortunately, the site I'd normally link to is down but you may be able to search one elsewhere.

11. SadPotato thread starter macrumors newbie

I actually was looking around for a copy of ASD and couldn't find any

12. Dronecatcher macrumors 68000

Dronecatcher

I've uploaded the disk image for version 2.5.8 here:

https://db.tt/JYeSyKMx

You'll need to check online if it's applicable to your machine.

13. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

OEM drives tended to be Seagate. If it's Apple OEM then it'll have a :apple: on the drive.

Possible it has has sectors after all those years.

14. Hrududu macrumors 68020

Hrududu

I'm going to chime in with the bad HDD here. I would bet money that is your problem. It also couldn't hurt to install Rember and make sure you don't have any failing RAM.

15. Hack5190 macrumors 6502a

Hack5190

Let me add a 3rd vote that the most likely suspect is the hard drive ;)

16. SadPotato thread starter macrumors newbie

I just checked the hard drive and it is the original Seagate drive with the :apple: on it
    If it is the hard drive, I don't have a replacement that isn't in use:(

17. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

Then take a trip to the candy sh.....er computer store and get a new one

18. Hack5190 macrumors 6502a

Hack5190

19. Dronecatcher macrumors 68000

Dronecatcher

My 12" Powerbook has bad sectors on it's 100Gb drive. Tiger and updates install fine but additional apps would crash - after a Tiger re-install I immediately wrote a blank 10Gb file to disk using Terminal and mkfile - then carried on installing apps. In effect, the bad area is encapsulated - that area isn't read or written to again. It's been working fine now for over a year.

20. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

I've done similar before. I usually just put an empty partition at the start of the drive. Big files could possibly get moved, although it's unlikely.

21. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

SMARTReporter 2.7.3 Listed as a "Lite" version on their site now. 2.7.3 is the last version that is Universal and free.

Smart Utility Not free. Click on the link for older versions and you'll get 3.1.4.

Smart Utility seems to be far more sensitive than SMARTReporter. Unlike SMARTReporter though you can adjust that sensitivity. Both apps will notify you if a drive is failing but Smart Utility can do more than email you.

Both are menubar apps although Smart Utility can actually show you hard drive information (number of hours powered on, bad sectors, age of drive, date of manufacture, etc).

22. Hack5190 macrumors 6502a

Hack5190

Just downloaded both of these utilities. SmartReporter works great on my PowerBook G4. The older version of Smart Utility (available from the link in Erik's message) does NOT run on the PowerPC - it's an Intel program.

23. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Hmmm. I will have to find what version I have on my PowerBook then and get back to you.