Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Themacmang4

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 19, 2012
London
I have recently bought a SanDisk SSD 64gb for my Powermac G5 as the HDD noise was irritating, but I am having difficulties getting it to be recognised, or to even be able to boot. Does anyone have any ideas on how to solve this issue?

SimonUK5

macrumors 6502
Nov 26, 2010
Have you checked the jumpers are in the right position?

I haven't had a G5, but i know they can be picky with certain SATA Speeds and some Drives, i'd check the drive in another machine as well just to check that the actual drive is working.

boneskid1

macrumors member
Sep 19, 2012
you made to re-format the ssd before installing your os right?
what version of os x are you trying to get onto/working with the ssd?

do you still have the package to the ssd? check to see if it is sata 3-6.0 gb/s or if it is sata 2-3.0gb/s

some users were having issues in the imac g5s when using a sata 3 ssd as the sata bus couldnt handle it.

Themacmang4

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 19, 2012
London
This SSD was brand new so it should be working. Also there are no jumpers. I cannot reformat it as the G5 is the only machine that I have that has SATA! I am trying to install 10.5.8 onto it

----------

Also, it is a sata 3 drive, but I have heard that they are backwards compatible?

Nameci

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2010
The Philippines...
This SSD was brand new so it should be working. Also there are no jumpers. I cannot reformat it as the G5 is the only machine that I have that has SATA! I am trying to install 10.5.8 onto it

----------

Also, it is a sata 3 drive, but I have heard that they are backwards compatible?

Not everything that is SATA III can be backwards compatible to the Powermac G5. Best thing is to return it and get a SATA II SSD. Also try to connect it to the lower bay, sometimes teh connections are just picky.

Themacmang4

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 19, 2012
London
Not everything that is SATA III can be backwards compatible to the Powermac G5. Best thing is to return it and get a SATA II SSD. Also try to connect it to the lower bay, sometimes teh connections are just picky.

I have tried the lower one, but that does not change anything. I do not want to return it though as I am planning to use the SSD in a computer that I am planning to build this summer and I would like to have a fast SSD for it.

rabidz7

macrumors 65816
Jun 24, 2012
Ohio

----------

The G5 sata controller can not agregate link bandwith between the SATA I bus and the SATA III bus.

Get a SATA card.
A SATA card would be MUCH faster, and allow for any hard drive.

If the SSD has jumpers, then set them to SATA I or II mode.

I learned this the hard way by trying three hard drives in my iMac G5, and then in the PowerMac G5. Once I got my SATA card all of the issues went away.

Nameci

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2010
The Philippines...
The G5 sata controller can not agregate link bandwith between the SATA I bus and the SATA III bus.

Get a SATA card.
A SATA card would be MUCH faster, and allow for any hard drive.

If the SSD has jumpers, then set them to SATA I or II mode.

I learned this the hard way by trying three hard drives in my iMac G5, and then in the PowerMac G5. Once I got my SATA card all of the issues went away.

Just let him RTV his SATA III drive and replace it with a SATA II, cost less than getting a SATA III interface card which is bootable.

I missed the OP's response.

There is no other way but for you to spend more by getting a bootable SATA III interface card.

Themacmang4

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 19, 2012
London
Why can I get an affordable sata controller from, as the only one I can find for the G5 is about £80, that is more than I paid for the G5 in total!

boneskid1

macrumors member
Sep 19, 2012
You can format the ssd with the osx install disk, go to utilities and go to disk utility there you can see all of the disks connected

Themacmang4

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 19, 2012
London

Nameci

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2010
The Philippines...
You can format the ssd with the osx install disk, go to utilities and go to disk utility there you can see all of the disks connected

You cannot format the disk if you cannot mount it. If it is not seen under disk utility it means it was not mounted and cannot be recognized.

----------

So are you saying that if I format the SSD it would work with the G5?

----------

So would something like this work if I found the correct drivers for mac?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Adapter-Converter-Silicon-Sil3114-Chipset/dp/B008BZB29E

There was a thread here describing the same topic about cheap bootable SATA interface cards with SiL chips. I am not sure but as far as I can remember it doesn't need any drivers at all. I might be wrong though.

btw, what is your specific powermac?

Themacmang4

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 19, 2012
London
You cannot format the disk if you cannot mount it. If it is not seen under disk utility it means it was not mounted and cannot be recognized.

----------

There was a thread here describing the same topic about cheap bootable SATA interface cards with SiL chips. I am not sure but as far as I can remember it doesn't need any drivers at all. I might be wrong though.

btw, what is your specific powermac?

I might be able to use a friends mac pro to format it, would that work? My specific powermac is the dual 2 GHz 7,3 with 5gb of ram.

Nameci

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2010
The Philippines...
I might be able to use a friends mac pro to format it, would that work? My specific powermac is the dual 2 GHz 7,3 with 5gb of ram.

It sure can be recognized on a mac pro. Partition it using APM or Apple Partition Map since the MP will partition it using GUID. GUID cannot be used as bootable drive on powermacs. But I doubt it can be recognized on the powermac once you put it back there.

Themacmang4

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 19, 2012
London
It sure can be recognized on a mac pro. Partition it using APM or Apple Partition Map since the MP will partition it using GUID. GUID cannot be used as bootable drive on powermacs. But I doubt it can be recognized on the powermac once you put it back there.

Thanks i'll try that

boneskid1

macrumors member
Sep 19, 2012
You cannot format the disk if you cannot mount it. If it is not seen under disk utility it means it was not mounted and cannot be recognized.[COLOR=

My bad mate I didn't even think of the fact that if you cant mount it you can't see it, but if it is not formated correctly the Mac cannot see it anyways

Themacmang4

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 19, 2012
London
You cannot format the disk if you cannot mount it. If it is not seen under disk utility it means it was not mounted and cannot be recognized.[COLOR=

My bad mate I didn't even think of the fact that if you cant mount it you can't see it, but if it is not formated correctly the Mac cannot see it anyways[/QUOTE]

So do you think that it is just because it is not formatted correctly is the reason that it is not working in the G5? I have seen other Sata 3 hard drives working in them.

frompast

macrumors member
Aug 15, 2010
It is sad but true ....
you need sata 2 ssd

and sata 2 ssd make difference to my g5 quad

though it need to repaire permition regularly

Themacmang4

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 19, 2012
London
I tried to format it, but that had no effect, still a grey screen on boot up. Is it just this specific SSD that will no work on a powermac or sata 3 drives in general? As I am looking into buying a hard drive instead that would sata 3.

MisterKeeks

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2012
I tried to format it, but that had no effect, still a grey screen on boot up. Is it just this specific SSD that will no work on a powermac or sata 3 drives in general? As I am looking into buying a hard drive instead that would sata 3.

It's SATA III drives in general, though I believe that some work.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.