Powermac G5 start up issues.

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Viserion, Mar 25, 2015.

1. Viserion macrumors newbie

Hi, new forum user here, with a bit of a problem.

I bought a second hand G5 2Ghz mac A1047 that I mainly got to test out MorphOs which is a Amiga like operation system that runs on a few selected Powermacs. As I'm in to Amiga retro stuff.

I do have OSX as well, so can use that as well, if I manage to get this issue fixed.

I owned it for almost a year now, and most of the time it has been gathering dust, as with the current fault it's not that useful.

When I got it it was missing the hard drive, so I used an old Sata drive I had lying around. The cd-rom was faulty so I replaced it with a spare ide drive.

I connected it all up and when pressing the power button absolutely nothing happened. No lights or fans running. Nothing.

It was cheap but I was very annoyed with myself for wasting the money it had cost me, so I started searching around and found out about possible battery problems, so I got a new one, as the old one wasn't usable any more.

During that time I was fiddling with the battery, I pressed down wards on the battery with my fingers, and when I pressed the power button it sprang to life.

I can use both MorphOs and OSX on it, but it's not very practical to have to open it up, and press down on the battery every time you want to start it, or getting it out of sleep mode. It doesn't work every time either, so you have to try a few times.

So I bought a battery replacement holder and removed the old one, and soldered on the new.

It made no difference on the problem. I still need to use the same trick to get it started.

So there is probably a bad contact some where that keeps the machine from booting normally.

I have tried to search for a solution, but haven't seen anyone with the exact same problem I have.

So my question is if anyone has any idea of what could cause this, and/or what problem areas I should concentrate on.

It's such a pain to take out the mother board, so I would prefer to have a few ideas before I do it.

2. havokalien macrumors 6502a

havokalien

Solder

I would guess solder joints on the motherboard from heat and flexing are letting loose. Just be glad its not on the memory slots as it would not be useable at all. If you have a reflow station and a day you could pull out the motherboard and reflow the solder on the back and it may work for a while, or bake it in an oven to do the same thing.

3. Viserion thread starter macrumors newbie

It is a rather large MB, so was hoping for a more specific area, in case this had happened to other G5s.

I don't have a re flow station, but I do have a heat gun where I can regulate temperature and air flow.

But unsure how high temperature and air flow speed I should use, as I haven't had it long, and don't have that much experience at using it.

Of course oven is also a possibility, but would 60 C in about an hour do the trick.