Powermac G5 turned into storage unit, questions.

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by ZMacintosh, Dec 1, 2008.

1. ZMacintosh macrumors 65816

ZMacintosh

Hi iw as curious, i have a Powermac g5 dual 1.8, it was a great machine but im going to upgrade to the faster macpro soon, and i need to use windows all on one machine.

so at anyrate, i have a two hard drives one for movies and one for videos.
    is there a way to put those two drives into the G5 and just hook the G5 up to the AirPort Extreme i have so ic an access the drives on any other computer i decide to use on my network?

Or do i need to install an OS on this?

any tips, recommendations or ideas?

thanks!

2. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

Can't you just share a folder on each drive that contains all the files?

3. OrangeSVTguy macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

Mac Pros have 4 internal SATA slots so when you buy a new MacPro, just put those 2 hard drives into your MP and transfer the data or buy one large 4th drive to put all your stuff on that and use the 2 drives for backup.

The g5 only has 2 internal SATA ports so you will need an OS on either of the 2 or have the OS on an external hard drive connected via Firewire port.

But yeah once you get an OS on that G5, it will be easy to set up file sharing on your network with either ethernet or wireless so you can access the date on any computer on your network.

4. ZMacintosh thread starter macrumors 65816

ZMacintosh

thanks, well, i would put those drives in the Pro, but im going to be using 2 drives for OSX (main OS and video file drive for video editing, storage and back up) and Windows (more video editing apps) and a 4th drive for in between transfers and back up/scratch disk.

I just wanted to turn the g5 into a sort of a media storage server, so i can stream movies and music and just use it to point my other devices and systems to it (like itunes music library, videos for VLC, etc) when it starts growing soon.

I guess i an just remove the superdirve throw in a small IDE drive for the os and be good to go.

thanks for the info.

5. giffut macrumors 6502

Don´t ...

... do it - for the purpose you described a separate NAS storage casing with network capabilites would be your best choice. The Powermac G5 consumes way too much energy (electricity) just to provide file storage from two harddrives only, probably around 200W.

A decent NAS would get away with 1/10 of it, mostly around 20W; And even a Mac Mini just needs around 60W under full load, much less with just the drives sharing.