PowerMac G5 Upgrades

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by beatledud, Sep 3, 2009.

1. beatledud macrumors 6502

So I just inherited a dual 2GHz G5. Due to where I want it (and the keyboard and mouse I have) I'd like to add bluetooth and wireless to the tower. Now I notice that it has an outlet on the back for antennas for both, but when I checked the system info there was nothing for bluetooth and airport.

1. What do I need to add? Is there one card for both that also makes in cost effective? Is there an onboard card that connects to the outputs there and do they come with the antennas for those? Or do I need to use a PCI-x slot?

2. Where can I buy these and for cheap? I'm planning on selling this tower at some point, and while having wireless and bluetooth would increase the value a little bit, I'd obviously probably wouldn't make my money back, so if it's too much I don't want to bother.

2. beatledud thread starter macrumors 6502

That's says it's for the iMac G5 a and the powermac isn't listed as compatable.

3. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

That combo card is only compatible with the Late 2005 PowerMac G5 dual core with PCI-e slots. Previous models used separate bluetooth, wifi, and antennas. Looking at the cards they are not pin compatible.

Earlier G5 Cards
    BT Front
    media.nl.jpeg

BT Back
    922-6530.jpg
    Apple Part #: 922-6530, 922-7289, & 922-6201

AP Extreme
    AP Ex.jpeg
    MFP#: 661-3045

You also need the bluetooth antenna and the Airport antenna.
    BT Apple Part #: 922-5951
    AP Apple Part #: 922-6043 and 922-6043

Late 2005
    BT/AP Combo
    apbt.jpeg
    Apple Part # 661-3692

Also requires a runway card to connect the combo card to the G5 and its antenna array.
    runway card.jpeg
    Apple Part # 922-7152

I would just buy a USB bluetooth adapter and a PCI Wireless adapter for less than all those other parts.

Wireless N

Bluetooth 2.1

4. Darth Maynard macrumors member

I have the same machine and wondered about the bluetooth. I have the Airport Extreme card alreadu (though I don't currently use it). I'm looking to get the next gen iPod Touch and would like to use some of the wireless functionality (Remote, etc.). Would I need both the bluetooth dongle and the antenna array for this? Or am okay with what I have?

Thanks
    Tim

5. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

Remote works over wi-fi, not bluetooth, so you're fine.

6. Darth Maynard macrumors member

Well, that's good news. Thanks for that.

What applications would it be good to have Bluetooth capability for?

7. beatledud thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks VelocityG4. Darth, bluetooth is most commonly used for devices, although there are plenty of software applications. It's essentially a low power consumption, short distance technology that transfers information. I'm looking to use it with my wireless bluetooth keyboard and mouse.