Powermac G5 wi-fi issues

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by cook.675, Oct 2, 2011.

1. cook.675 macrumors member

I have a G5 dual 2.0 GHZ running 10.5.8

The wifi signal is being unreliable, and at times not working completely. Sometimes it will show 1 or 2 bars, other times none. Occasionally it will show all 5 bars but this is rare. As of late it's been crapping out completely. I have the latest airport install from apple. My router is probably 10-15 feet away, and when I use my macbook from the same location I have full 5 bars and no problems. It's an internal wi-fi (airport?) card that came stock with the computer. Is it dying?

SECOND ISSUE:

I installed a wireless keyboard (works now) and apple magic mouse. The mouse is recognized fine, has brand new batteries, and I installed the software 1.0 from apple website. However, when I use it, it lags, is slow, and not entirely responsive to moving the pointer (although its clear its connected). Is this a problem with the internal bluetooth antennae?

2. MacHamster68, Oct 2, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2011

MacHamster68 macrumors 68040

MacHamster68

first things first , is the AirPort Extreme connected with 2 small wire to the Antenna ports at the back ot the G5 ? one port is for the WIFI antenna the other for the bluetooth antenna
    [​IMG]
    here how the antennas looks like

airport antenna
    [​IMG]
    (and sometimes it helps up to 3 more bars if you rotate the antenna a bit)

bluetooth antenna
    [​IMG]

and no antennas at the back means weak signal if you are lucky to get one at all

mine shows without the antennas a extremely weak wifi signal and it will change form about 2 bars to 4 bars if i rotate the antenna , but i prefer ethernet as i am not a huge fan of anything wireless

3. cook.675 thread starter macrumors member

No I don't have either of those external antennae devices.

4. Nameci macrumors 68000

Nameci

If you have the dual processor powermacs you should have the antennas in order for the wifi and bt to work...

5. cook.675, Oct 3, 2011

cook.675 thread starter macrumors member

Right.

Instead of purchasing these anteanne which I didn't know I needed or were even part of the system, would it be more practical to get one of these wi-fi/bluetooth USB dongles?

EDIT: after looking at the prices it looks like these antennaes will cost upwards of $50; will these USB adapters do the same thing because they're definatley cheaper and less bulky.

6. MacHamster68, Oct 3, 2011

MacHamster68 macrumors 68040

MacHamster68

only if they work under Leopard and not all usb wifi /bluetooth dongles do

to the antennas , they had been included with every system that came with Airport and bluetooth , but often G5's gone to a corporate environment and used ethernet and usb keyboards and mice (cheaper) , and the antennas went missing all to often in some drawers of the admin guys , or people keep them to sell separate like the missing original install disc's or the OS disc's to which they upgraded . especially since the prices for G5 PowerMac's dropped significantly in the last year , some sell their G5 Powermac's mainly 1.6 and 1.8 single CPU but even 1.8 ghz and 2.0 ghz dual processors go for a BIN lower then what others get for their G4 mini's ..its a thing of today ,smaller is in and people willing to pay more to receive less :eek:

personally i would try to get the antennas to keep the PowerMac G5 original ! it will pay off later

just for example:
    i would pay more for a 1.6ghz single core PowerMac that comes with all parts like it shipped from Apple incl. keyboard and mouse , the antennas and all OS'disc's (original OS and upgraded OS, means if it comes with Leo i want that disc too )
    then i would for a 2.5 ghz Quadcore that comes without anything and only a OS preinstalled but no disc's , as for me thats a incomplete Mac , like a iMac with a broken display ....

7. cook.675 thread starter macrumors member

Yes I see where you're coming from.

However, this computer will die with me, and I don't care all that much for re-sale value/originality.

That being said, can anyone reccomend a 2-1 USB bluetooth/wi-fi adapter that will work for the powermac G5?

8. OrangeSVTguy macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

This works great as an antenna too ;)

[​IMG]

The Airport antennas pop up on eBay for <$20 all the time too.

9. phyrexia macrumors 6502a

Here's a thought, and what I did with my PowerMac until we ran cable through the house:

Buy a Linksys WRT54G for $20 on Craigslist, spend an hour or so reading DDWRT forums, and turn the router into a wireless access point. Actually you should read the DDWRT website a little bit first to make sure you get the right revision of WRT54G.

Anyway, then you will have a versatile little device. I have several of the things, and they are configured in various fashions depending on what I want them to do throughout the house.

10. philipt42 macrumors 6502

philipt42

I had this issue to the point where I switched permanently to ethernet. It sucks.

11. Jethryn Freyman macrumors 68020

Jethryn Freyman

I have this problem too, and I have a foot long antenna connected. Sometimes I can't even connect to the internet, yet I can connect to the local network, and every other Snow Leopard equipped Mac of fine can reach the internet fine. I'm just about ready to switch to a USB wireless card, since Ethernet is not an option...