PowerMac G5 Wireless Problems

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by CYB3RBYTE, Dec 31, 2014.

1. CYB3RBYTE, Dec 31, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2014

CYB3RBYTE macrumors regular

CYB3RBYTE

Hello all, it's been a few weeks since I last posted...

Anyhow I just received a June 2004 PowerMac G5, 2.0 GHZ DP, and 4GB RAM already installed. All it needed was a hard drive, and I had a few lying around. This thing is great, however when I installed a spare airport express card I had, the wireless showed nothing. Sometimes it shows my network, tries to connect, then times out.

I looked around back to see if there was some thing wrong, when *slaps forehead* IT NEEDS AN ANTENNA!

So I just looked online for how much an antenna may be, and one Ebay I saw they were $40+!! That's a little insane.

Is there any other way I can get internet on this machine?

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Some people have had success with putting a paperclip or safety pin to the Airport antenna hole in the back of the machine. Be careful, this can result in damaging the antenna connector. You could alternatively get a different antenna for the card and route it from the card to the outside of the G5's case.

3. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Make sure it is a bare paperclip and not one of those that is covered in the rubber insulation.

4. CYB3RBYTE thread starter macrumors regular

CYB3RBYTE

Huh, I didn't think of that. I'll have to try it with care, obviously.

Otherwise if that doesn't work plan B is to buy a broadcom based 802.11n PCI-X wireless card, and slot that in. Airport Extreme has never been slow for me, but I prefer 802.1n whenever possible.

I'll post the other upgrades I plan to make later...

Thanks!

5. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

6. CYB3RBYTE thread starter macrumors regular

CYB3RBYTE

Unfortunately, ethernet is not available in my room, Altemose, as much as I wish it would be...

7. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Some of those powerline networking adapters are faster than wireless N but slower than Gigabit Ethernet.

8. bunnspecial macrumors 603

bunnspecial

I took about 2' of solid 24gauge copper wire, stripped about 1" of insulation off the end of it, and threaded it into the antenna port on my G5.

The wireless reception is GREAT and the wire is very secure in the hole.

9. CYB3RBYTE thread starter macrumors regular

CYB3RBYTE

I just tried the "paperclip" trick and it's working! I'm really happy, but since I'm not using any PCI slots at the moment, I may buy a PCI wireless N card, and just use that. I think it would prevent any possible damage to the airport port!

Thanks!

10. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

Send me a PM with your address. I'll send you one in a first class envelope. Sometimes being a Mac hoarder helps.

Attached Files:

11. CYB3RBYTE thread starter macrumors regular

CYB3RBYTE

Awesome! Thanks, I really appreciate this. I guess being a Mac hoarder is a good thing if you have a lot of parts!

12. dustinschings macrumors 6502

dustinschings

Commenting to say a wire tie with a bit of the insulation shaved off works perfect! It is the perfect diameter to fit snug in the antenna hole and I used a small bit of elec tape to hold it secure. Full signal!

I don't think I will ever buy that Apple antenna now. Just to get mad when I am out $30 when I lose it? Nah, I will always have a wire tie handy, for free!

13. myscrnnm macrumors 6502a

myscrnnm

You can also connect to the Internet via a wired Ethernet connection. My advice is to do a followed search on eBay and get the antenna when it comes up for a good price (that's what I did). You can also get a supported PCI Wi-Fi card. And finally, in the meantime, you can also operate the G5 without the side panel attached, as this will allow the wireless signal to pass through the interior of the case.

14. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Guys…you realize this thread is two years old right?

15. dustinschings macrumors 6502

dustinschings

You know others (like myself) come here from Google when they searched a "problem" they had. So it is not a bad idea to contribute to the topic for future people in need, yo.

And I am just adding that on top of a safety pin, and paper clip, a wire tie works as well future folks in need!

16. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

I figured.

I was just wondering is all. No worries.