powermac g5 with raid not starting

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by boneskid1, Sep 10, 2013.

1. boneskid1 macrumors member

I was given a powermac g5 by a family member without a power cord or ram. I was thrilled to finally get one, but I have come across a slight problem. Before I format/erase the 2 WD 250gb drives that are in a raid I wanted to make sure there was nothing on there that might need to be saved.
    But when I start it up it gets stuck on the gray apple screen with the fans running full speed.
    I did get 4gb of ram installed and found a power cord, the machine itself works great, I tested it with a spare drive I had. I just cannot figure out the startup issue.
    The g5 in question is a late 2005 dual core 2.0ghz, 4gb of ram and a gf6600le with 128mb of vram.

2. Nameci macrumors 68000

Nameci

Try to reset the PRAM.

3. rabidz7 macrumors 65816

rabidz7

Boot it from a DVD, or USB/FW Disk.
    You will want to install Debian 7.10 if you want to use any modern software, get it at Debian.org

4. cyberghoser1 macrumors member

cyberghoser1

Dude really, i see you reply with Debian in all threads, you work for 'em or something? Actually this is more fun than a complaint, so dont take it personal but c'mon, debian is not the answer to everything.

5. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

None of your suggestions are helpful to the OP and would just waste time. Secondly, stop with the Linix thing. I know that you yourself have trouble with it. If someone of your knowledge has trouble with it, just think of how much trouble others will have.

6. rabidz7 macrumors 65816

rabidz7

If he/she boots from a FW drive, data from the internal drives will be copyable to the external drive, which is exactly what the OP wants to do.

After the data has been copied he/she should install Debian to be able to use the G5 from its internal drives.

7. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

That won't fix anything if the RAID doesn't start. You can try your darnedest to try to get files off of it, but it won't work. Linux isn't the solution to the OP's problems. It is rarely, if ever, the solution. Please stop posting about it. You're starting to fall under the spamming clause of the forum rules. Further irrelevant mentions from you about installing Linux will be reported as spam.

8. rabidz7 macrumors 65816

rabidz7

What kind of RAID is this (eg. 0,1,2,3,4,5,6?

9. boneskid1, Sep 11, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2013

boneskid1 thread starter macrumors member

No clue how to tell what raid the 2 drives are in. I will try the pram reset here in a bit, and I already tried to boot from a Ubuntu live disc but it hangs due to some error that the later g5s have with Ubuntu 12.04.
    If I cannot get into the drives it is not a big deal seeing as how the machine was given to me so therefore it leads me to believe they got all that they needed off of the system.

EDIT: I reset the pram..... No go I am going to just wipe the drives and start fresh. I do have one question to leave here though.
    Can I use a sata to PCI-e card to put a ssd as a boot drive and have 2 bays for storage?

10. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

There are some SATA PCIe cards that are bootable in a PowerPC Mac. Search the forums or start a new thread to find out which ones.