Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

noodle654

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 2, 2005
Never Ender
Finally got all my parts for my "new" PowerMac G5 DC 2.3GHz. I bought a 30GB SSD from OWC, 1TB WD Green Drive, and 8GB RAM. I am very surprised how well this thing runs! Applications boot instantly, it is as fast as my 2012 MBP, but I think that might be the SSD talking.

Anyways, I am starting to migrate all my information over, but I am running into a dilemma as to how I should manage my boot and data drive. I have installed the OS and my core applications to the SSD, and it currently has 14GB free, but I want to store all my music and what not on the 1TB WD Green. What is the easiest way to do this? If I install applications later I cannot select the Green drive to install to. What should I do?

Sorry if this has been discussed before, but I have been searching for a while and can't find how to go about doing this.

prvt.donut

macrumors 6502a
Jan 1, 2008
I have installed the OS and my core applications to the SSD, and it currently has 14GB free, but I want to store all my music and what not on the 1TB WD Green. What is the easiest way to do this?

For iTunes and iPhoto, if you hold down the option key when you open them, it gives you the option to select a new library.

So what you can do is to move the library files from your documents to the other drive and then tell iTunes and iPhoto to use the new location.

It will remember from then on the new location.

MisterKeeks

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2012
I knew you were upgrading the Power Mac, but I didn't know you were doing that much! It is quite the machine right now. Keep an eye on the LCS and temperature (you might want to use Temperature Monitor).

Jethryn Freyman

macrumors 68020
Aug 9, 2007
Australia
For iTunes and iPhoto, if you hold down the option key when you open them, it gives you the option to select a new library.

So what you can do is to move the library files from your documents to the other drive and then tell iTunes and iPhoto to use the new location.

It will remember from then on the new location.
This is pretty much how you do it, although you can always (if you nca) open iTunes and tell it to "consolidate music" or something like that and it moves everything old to the new location...

As for having an SSD + HD in a G5, I do too, albeit my OWC SSD is 240GB and my storage disk is a 7,200rpm Seagate, worst case scenario, just back up you iTunes Library folder [with iTunes files AND music in it], copy it to your mechanical storage disk, then once you reinstall the OS and update and then launch iTunes for the first time, hold down the Option key, and when it asks you to select an iTunes Library, select the one you copied over to your internal 1TB drive.

Best of luck - currently I am celebrating Christmas quite hard, but will probably be available to answer any more complex inquiries in the days to come.

seveej

macrumors 6502a
Dec 14, 2009
Helsinki, Finland
Finally got all my parts for my "new" PowerMac G5 DC 2.3GHz. I bought a 30GB SSD from OWC, 1TB WD Green Drive, and 8GB RAM. I am very surprised how well this thing runs! Applications boot instantly, it is as fast as my 2012 MBP, but I think that might be the SSD talking.

Congrats, that's a fine machine. And the SSD makes a world of difference.

I think the main point with an SSD is to have there:
-OS
-applications
As basically very few other types of data need transfer speeds in excess of 50 mbps.

I basically use the same setup on my main workhorse (MBP with HDD and SSD), and yes, it is possible to have all libraries (iTunes, iPhoto, aperture etc.) on the HDD.
On setting it up, You can get good advice here, but I'd go to the horses mouth (apple guides).

The 32 GB may be on the small side, and I'd maybe recommend computing whether that will be nearly enough (I've never done it with less than 64 gigs), especially considering that some of it will be needed for obligatory free space, updates, virtual memory and the likes. ( finding that out now is better than first doing the whole work and finding out then)

RGDS,

noodle654

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 2, 2005
Never Ender
Thank you all for the help, and merry Christmas.

I have copied all my photos, music, and movies to the HDD. But, what do I do if I want to install applications to the HDD? For instance, I have been installing applications and I cannot select the HDD to install to.

I thought that 30GB might be a little small, but I figured I could always upgrade later, I got the 30GB for a steal (only $40 after discounts). I am trying to make it so I always have at least 10GB free on the SSD. Do I need to worry about the whole virtual memory thing, even with 8GB of RAM? This thing barely uses any RAM currently, even with a lot of applications running.

Jethryn Freyman

macrumors 68020
Aug 9, 2007
Australia
Thank you all for the help, and merry Christmas.

I have copied all my photos, music, and movies to the HDD. But, what do I do if I want to install applications to the HDD? For instance, I have been installing applications and I cannot select the HDD to install to.
In most cases you can just copy the application over onto the HDD.

I thought that 30GB might be a little small, but I figured I could always upgrade later, I got the 30GB for a steal (only $40 after discounts). I am trying to make it so I always have at least 10GB free on the SSD. Do I need to worry about the whole virtual memory thing, even with 8GB of RAM? This thing barely uses any RAM currently, even with a lot of applications running.
SATA II KingSpec SSDs on eBay are excellent value, 64GB goes for $58, 128GB around about $128. If you want to go to 240GB, OWC Mercury Electra 3G 240 is the way to go ($239.)

prvt.donut

macrumors 6502a
Jan 1, 2008
In most cases you can just copy the application over onto the HDD.

SATA II KingSpec SSDs on eBay are excellent value, 64GB goes for $58, 128GB around about $128. If you want to go to 240GB, OWC Mercury Electra 3G 240 is the way to go ($239.)

I just got a brand new (refurbished) Corsair Force F240 for $139 on eBay. :cool:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.