Powermac G5 won't stay on

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Super20, Mar 31, 2008.

1. Super20 macrumors regular

So i have a Powermac G5 1.6ghz. I try to turn it on, but all I get are fans starting to "whirr" up. The blue light stays lit as long as I hold it in. Not sure what to try and not sure I want to sink any money into it...even though I love it. Any ideas?

2. inigel macrumors regular

inigel

3. Super20 thread starter macrumors regular

No...it seems like everything will go when I push the button to turn on, but as soon as I let go, it all shuts down. Could it be power supply? Things I've read on the forums seem like it could start there and progressively get worse.

4. inigel macrumors regular

inigel

It may be a faulty switch, hopefully it will be. Parts for G5's are expensive.

5. Firefly2002 macrumors 65816

Try opening it up and seeing what happens when you hit the switch. Is it supposed to lock in place on the G5? On the G3 I have it was just a power button that you could hit if you felt like it... hard-power off, I guess.

The external keyboard was usually used to turn the computer on/off.

If you keep it held down, does the computer boot and then shut off? Or does it just turn on but not even try booting? Do you get a boot chime?

If you don't get a boot chime something else is probably up.. I was under the impression that all the power button did was complete the circuit and send the signal to the power supply to boot up.

Could be something's seated improperly. Did you recently install/clean something?

6. krye macrumors 68000

krye

Holding the power switch won't keep it on. It just completes a circuit. If anything, holding it for 4 seconds will actually initiate a shutdpwn. It sounds to me more like your power supply is faulty. The 3 and 5V rails may be good, but the 12 volt one may be dead. I had that happen to me on a Xeon PC rig. I had partial power to the motherboard, (NIC RAM and AGP LEDs would light) but no 12v power to the CPUs.

7. Probe dms macrumors newbie

did you ever find out what was wrong.I'm having the same problem.